Kitchen Fitting Question

Cutting a curve into a 50mm worktop

I am in the process of fitting a cooke & lewis kitchen at my own property. I have a straight 3m length worktop to fit (laminate) and also a smaller approx 2m length which has a curved end unit.

I have specified square edge 50mm work tops and need to try and get the curve to be perfect - is a router the best bet for this?

Thanks for all the tips! LOL @ chainsaw!

7 Answers

Best Answer


No you need a chainsaw...

Yes a router would be best. If the radius is on the left hand side/end of the worktop, you will have to cut the worktop upside down otherwise the front edge will split out. Some work top jigs have radius's on them. Which you can just follow using a guide in your router. Or you can make your own jig using 9-12 mm mdf, using the unit/curved door as a template.

It's often easier, to jigsaw around a rough radius first on the work top leaving a few mm's, then clean it up with the router in stages of around 10mm deep per pass (saves on cutters). Make sure you don't tilt the router, otherwise it will go the way of the pear.

Hope this helps you

Answered 17th Aug 2011

Rebel Carpenter

Member since 24 Sep 2008

a router would possibly be your best bet here. But you must ensure that the jig you cut for your router to follow is perfect and has a very smooth curve, you can use sand paper to make this extra smooth,

Always be aware of the jig moving when using a router as this can happen when preasure is applied to the router. Make sure your jig is securly clamped down tight.

Always make sure your router blade is cutting into the laminte surface not away to prevent chipping the laminate surface. You may need to flip the material upside down.

Regards Darren Clark Joinery

Answered 17th Aug 2011

Darren Clark Joinery

Member since 1 Jul 2010

hi , yes a professional half inch router or a jigsaw and belt sander, best a luck lance

Answered 17th Aug 2011

woodfloor carpenter

Member since 1 Feb 2009


As this is a laminate the only way to go is with a router, 1/2" chuck, 12.7mm diamiter bit (new)< as you will have a laminated edge on both sides of the cut you will have a chance of the edge on the right splitting( work l-r only with a max 10 mm plunge), don't go down the Jigsaw and belt sander route, this is the cowboy way, you need a perfect finnish for the strip to adhere properly(and if it doesn't you canget water ingress and swelling).

If you dont have all the tools and jigs then call in a proffessional, he will charge you a days rate (around £150), but this will be cheaper than replacing the top because its been messed up.

Kind regards


Answered 20th Aug 2011

Spectrum uk

Member since 13 Nov 2010

yes a router (large) is best and a router jig are commonly used for this by the kitchen fitting trade..

Answered 17th Aug 2011

Solo Services

Member since 22 Oct 2008

Hi if you make a template in ply or mdf of the curve and clamp to worktop and use this has your router guide . when you make the template make sure you finish curve to a smooth finish

Hope this helps

Answered 17th Aug 2011

Head property maintenance

Member since 14 Jul 2008

Yes a router full size witj a half inch long cutter.also a worktop jig ,
Be careful.

Answered 17th Aug 2011

Bates Carpentry and Building

Member since 23 Jun 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Kitchen Fitters who can help you with your project.

Search all questions