Gas Work Question

Am i allowed to put a stop end cap on the gas pipe

we have replaced the gas cooker for an electric one.
the gas pipe has a shut off valve on it which is obviously at the off position at the moment, the problem is with the handle/valve in this position the new oven cannot be pushed upto the wall,
So, Am I allowed to fit a cap onto this and then turn the valve back to the off position so we can put the oven back to the wall, or do I have to get a gas safe man in to do this??
I know its only a 2 minute job and the part costs £2 , but im gunna get stung for it which id rather not!!
would be really happy if someone could advise me,

11 Answers

Best Answer


You must get Gas Safe Registered person to do his job. It will take few mins to make safe cap it off and check up to make sure no gas escape on any pipework or other appliances. It will cost round £30 ( in your area) and you will get gas safe certificate after complete by a competent person.

Answered 14th Aug 2011

DMW Heating & Gas Services

Member since 22 Jun 2008

You are better off paying a GAS SAFE registered installer to do job and have valid home insurance rather than attemting yourself.
Yes the cap is easy to fit but all gas engineers would test on completion, a little more complicated. Expect to pay around £40 for total job.
A wothwhile investment considering if you leave it leaking you could blow up your house and your neighbours!

Answered 13th Aug 2011


Member since 18 Aug 2010

I would strongly advise you to get a gas safe registered engineer to do this job, this is to ensure that there will be no gas leaks
Lachlan Liddle

Answered 13th Aug 2011

A Touch of Gas

Member since 10 Aug 2011

Only a someone on the Gas Safe Resister my touch the gas pipe. if you put a stop end on (i asume you wwere thinking of a compression fitting) it then needs to be tested, my tester cost £180.

Post job on MyBuilder and sleep safe at night

Answered 6th Sep 2011

Deans Heating

Member since 22 Jan 2010

You are suppose to get a Gas Safe Registered person to do this work, only for the reason that they will have the equipment to check that no gas is escaping.

Pipe Dreams Plumbing Services

Answered 13th Aug 2011

Pipe Dreams Plumbing Services

Member since 9 Sep 2009

For your own safety, get a Gas Safe Registered employee to do it, just make sure you get a fixed price before they do it, realistically you should be paying no more than £30.

Answered 13th Aug 2011

Pure Building and Plumbing

Member since 31 May 2010

Don't risk it

Answered 15th Aug 2011

EMT Electrical & Plumbing Contractors

Member since 27 Mar 2008

Answered 18th Aug 2011

BDF plumbing and heating services

Member since 12 Nov 2008

No feedback

too do any gas work you have to be gas safe registered, you may think its a two minute job but you need to put a drop test on your gas before AND after you do any work to ensure there are no leaks, its just not worth taking the risk doing it yourself. You CANNOT use plastic push fit on gas, it has to be soldered or compression (only if it is accessible). it would only cost £30-£40 to cap it off but it gives you the peace of mind that it is safe.



Answered 13th Aug 2011

J.M plumbing & heating

Member since 8 Aug 2011

You dont have a choice MUST be gas safe it would be no more than £40 so dont be tight be safe.

Answered 14th Aug 2011


Member since 1 Jun 2008

It will need to be done and tested by a competent person really, suggest you get someone to do it, not worth the risk mate.

Answered 13th Aug 2011

plumber/heating engineer

Member since 12 Aug 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Gas Engineers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions