Electrical Question

Do i need a niecce certificate as well as a part p

I'm having an extention to the side of my house. I'm aware that I need a Part P certificate but I also need a NICEIC certificate?

Any advise appreciated

8 Answers

Best Answer

Unfortunately there is a lot of customer confusion regarding the NICEIC , Part P and certification. Basically the NICEIC are a government endorsed, self regulating 'private' body who oversee their own registered electricians work and ensure it is done to the relevant standards and current regs. There is NO legal requirement that states your electrician has to be NICEIC registered.
There are other government endorsed bodies who do exactly the same job.
to name a few.
For the electrical installation in your extension you will need an Electrical Installation Certificate. Providing your electrician is with one of the previously mentioned regulatory bodies they will be able to provide an EIC and notify the job to your local Building Control. By notifying the job they are saying it complies with all the current building regs (which includes Part P) and has been installed to the current electrical regs BS7671. Hopefully this should give you peace of mind that the job is done as it should be.
If however you decide to use an unregistered electrician or decide to DIY the electrics then contact your local building control before you start so they can advise you on the information they will require and any costs involved.

Answered 5th Aug 2011

All Wired Up

Member since 27 Jul 2009

NICEIC are a registration body that electricains can belong to, there are others, this registration allows electricians to create certificates for their work which you, the householder, need to retain for future reference in case of a sale etc. The NICEIC registration also allows the electrician to notify the building authority of certian types of work (think bigger jobs) to comply with part P of the building reg.s.

(Just about) Every job when carried out by a Qualified Electrician should be certificated no matter what organisation the electrcian is registered to, this certificate may be a Minor Works Cert. or a full Electrical Installation Cert. depending on the job and certain jobs also need to be 'Part P Certificated' which means the local build authority has been made aware of the work as well. Your extension almost certainly falls into this second category, so yes both.

Answered 5th Aug 2011

AOS Electrical

Member since 23 Nov 2010

If the extension is going to have new electrical circuits - which seems likely - then you will need a qualified electrician to install and test those. The electrician will issue you with a Electrical Installation Certificate, and will notify the local building control that this has been done. There's no such thing as either a Part P or NICEIC certificate. You just need to check that the electrician you use is approved by one of the main bodies - NICEIC is one, but there are others - such as NAPIT and Elecsa.

Answered 5th Aug 2011

ADD Light & Power

Member since 20 Sep 2010

you should receive a n.i.c.e.i.c. electrical installation certificate(or other government approved body certificate ) and a building compliance certificate, which many call a "part p certificate ,a qualified /registered electrician should carry out ALL work and issue the certificates on completion,including notifying your local building control office .alternately you or your builder can do the work providing you tell building control 30 days prior to work commencing and pay their fee,s, they will then inspect work in progress and carry out a final inspection and test to all circuits, and they will issue your certificates.you should check with your building office for the latest requirements.
most straightforward ,safe, way is to employ a N.I.C.E.I.C. professional from the start .
the n.i.c.e.i.c. was set up more than 50 years ago to protect you
from bad/dangerous electrical work.

Answered 5th Aug 2011

G.J.B. Electrical Services

Member since 16 Jan 2009

No feedback

If you have an NIC EIC, napit, or elesca registered electrician they will be part p
No one else will be able to sign off others work.

Answered 5th Aug 2011

MK of Fulham Electrical

Member since 19 Feb 2009

NICIEC is just a trade mark like HOVER .
There are still other part P registration schemes like NAPIT and ELECSA. as long as your electrician is registered on one of these three schemes you will be fine

Answered 5th Aug 2011

shm electrical services

Member since 25 Jul 2011

hi no you dont, but if they are part p registered and not with a registered body it they usually will have to notify the building control therselves
if they are with iether the niceic domestic installer scheme or napit (the national association of inspectors nd testers , or elecsa and and on the part p scheme, that is sufficiant, and all you need,

Answered 5th Aug 2011

oaktree building services

Member since 7 Jun 2011

Hi,depending on the scope/scale of electrical work you have carried out the electrician will issue you with either a Minor Works Certificate or a Electrical Installation Certificate,it doesnt need to be NICEIC ,it can be Napit,Elecsa BSII or NICEIC.If the work is notifiable under Part P the electrician will notify the job to his/her scheme provider who will in turn notify the local LABC concerned.

If in doubt as to the electrician being Part P registered ask him what scheme he is a member of then check with them,they dont bite.

Hope it all goes ok for you.

Answered 5th Aug 2011


Member since 29 Jul 2008

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions