Ask a tradesman


Failed double glazing units

My double glazing units have failed and I am getting quotes for replacement. As just the glass is being replaced in the existing frames is this classed as a repair and therefore not covered by building regulations, so I don't have to have approval from the council or use a registered competent person FENSA registered, and have a certificate on completion to prove regs have been satisfied with regard to thermal efficiency and toughened glass as the bottom of some of my windows are below the 800 mm.

Just need to know so when I sell I don't need to prove to a buyers solicitor 2002 regulations have been satisfied.

Many thanks,


2 Answers from MyBuilder Window & Door Fitters

Best Answer

You don't need a Part L certificate as it's classed as a repair or upgrade. The units that fall within 800mm or less to floor level will have to be toughened though as these are still covered under building reg's.
You can upgrade the units to Planitherm or EnergiKare though for a little extra and it will reduce heat loss.


Answered 29th Jun 2014

Hi Simon,

You're correct. You won't require a fensa registered installer. Just make sure you get the units like for like - if the units are below 800mm these will still need to be toughened for safety reasons.

Kind regards Grant
iGlaze- Bedfordshire


Answered 29th Jun 2014

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories