Plumbing Question


I have an older style toilet with the overflow going out through a pipe. Can I convert my cistern so the overflow runs into the pan? like the new cisterns?
Many thanks

8 Answers

yes you can, the syphon is replaced with a drop valve (incorporates overflow) and mechanism required to suit your type of flush arrangement try good plumbers merchants or if easier look in screwfix cataloge under toilet fittings

Answered 22nd Jul 2011

kevin cassidy building contractors

Member since 16 Dec 2010

Most of the siphons with an internal overflow are purpose made for the push button lids so I do not believe there is a conversion kit

Answered 22nd Jul 2011

House Doctors

Member since 13 Jul 2011

yes you just need to buy and fit a modern syphon, the Dudley syphons definatly do that, it will overflow in the pan before it goes down the old overflow pipe.

Answered 23rd Jul 2011

Heat Pro Services

Member since 22 Jun 2011

Yes you have to change the syphon inside the cistern. All new syphons now are made with the internal overflow.

Answered 23rd Jul 2011

Chamberlain Maintenance

Member since 3 Oct 2008

Yes you can , you only need a new syphone putting in, all new syphons are made this way now,
Paul P J Plumbing

Answered 23rd Jul 2011

P.J.Plumbing & Property Repairs

Member since 1 Oct 2008

Yes, in most cases you can fit a internal overflow syphon. This will then allow the water to run into the WC Pan rather than through the overflow pipe. Maybe a syphon like a Turbo Syphon could do the job.

Hope this helps,

Pipe Dreams Plumbing Services

Answered 23rd Jul 2011

Pipe Dreams Plumbing Services

Member since 9 Sep 2009

Difficult to say without seeing the WC, the cost of these nowadays though from places like B&Q or Wickes are relatively cheap (from around £40), so if you wanted to remove the overflow pipe, I would suggest buying a new closed coupled toilet.

Answered 23rd Jul 2011

Pure Building and Plumbing

Member since 31 May 2010

I'm sure you would need a new pan as well. It would be best to talk to the suppliers

Answered 23rd Jul 2011

Michael Murphy Builder

Member since 26 Nov 2009

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Plumbers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions