Ask a tradesman


Induction hob power supply


I am considering replacing my current free standing gas oven with a built in electric oven and induction Hob. As I understand it, an induction Hob needs a special power supply. Currently, their is a double plug by my current cooker and their is a separate ring main for the kitchen sockets in the fuse box. Will this have to be upgraded to a separate cable run from the fuse box to the hob ? I am nervous that this could be a big job as my fuse box is in the basement, while the cooker is at the back of the house.

Thanks for the advise.


3 Answers from MyBuilder Electricians

Best Answer

New radial circuit from your consumer unit, easy enough to do



Answered 22nd Jul 2011

Usually it needs new circuit breakers(32Amps) , new 6sqmm Cable from your Consumer Unit, Cooker switch and Cooker outlet. That job cost around 60.00-80.00 Pounds + materials.And this circuit must be RCD protected.
Also, as it is job in kitchen, it needs notify Building control.You should get Electrical Instalations Certificate with Test result from your electrician.
Hope it'll help.

Get the job done right.


Answered 23rd Jul 2011

It will have to be a separate fused spur from the box. Not an expensive job though as it's fairly straight forward.


Answered 22nd Jul 2011

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories