Ask a tradesman
New boiler, electrical rewire and decoration/building works. should one company manage or a specialist in each field? can individuals co-ordinate?
I have purchased a 3 bed property in Cambridge which requires a full re-wire of electrics, in addition to the installation and relocation of a new combi boiler from a Baxi and lastly the ceiling tiles removed/replastered and a door way closed off.
As all of this will require a variety of tradespeople, do I need to schedule each persons diary or are they likely to work around the others, ie electrician communicate with decorator for filling in holes or electrician visiting as same time as plumber to install new shower pump. I'm considering asking one company to do the lot but worry they won't specialise in all 3 areas as effectively and I would have to pay them a management fee.
Which is more normal these days? Which would be most time efficient as I will be renting elsewhere throughout the duration.
NB I have posted my jobs on the boards this evening too.
2 Answers from MyBuilder Electricians
personally i would ask a builder to quote for your work, obviously he will find the "other trades" but will also do all the "donkey work" chasing the walls for cables(why pay an electrician to do this?) when a labourer can do the work,you could end up in a "mess" trying to do it your way,renorite
Answered 20th Jul 2011
if you don't want deep involvement in the project then leave it to a builder but get all the associated paper work for all the trades that were associated with the work, such as the electrical installation certificate, Part P notification, gas safe document.
Answered 2nd Sep 2011
Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes
- All Questions
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet & Lino
- Central Heating
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Waste Clearance
- Fascias, Soffits & Guttering
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Hard Flooring
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery
- A company is designing & supplying my heating/DHW system (solar thermal, UFH, unvented cylinder and boiler). They have priced the cylinder & boiler at £1500 each. Should I source my own elsewhere?
- Is there a 3 PHASE inverter out there that can manage a possible output of up to 60.000 watts for a tanning shop?
- Buying a house 3 bed semi - jobs done with the house empty or when we have moved in over time?
- New Boiler - can I have a new boiler fitted if there is a a small gas leak?