Ask a tradesman


New boiler, electrical rewire and decoration/building works. should one company manage or a specialist in each field? can individuals co-ordinate?

I have purchased a 3 bed property in Cambridge which requires a full re-wire of electrics, in addition to the installation and relocation of a new combi boiler from a Baxi and lastly the ceiling tiles removed/replastered and a door way closed off.

As all of this will require a variety of tradespeople, do I need to schedule each persons diary or are they likely to work around the others, ie electrician communicate with decorator for filling in holes or electrician visiting as same time as plumber to install new shower pump. I'm considering asking one company to do the lot but worry they won't specialise in all 3 areas as effectively and I would have to pay them a management fee.

Which is more normal these days? Which would be most time efficient as I will be renting elsewhere throughout the duration.

NB I have posted my jobs on the boards this evening too.

2 Answers from MyBuilder Electricians

personally i would ask a builder to quote for your work, obviously he will find the "other trades" but will also do all the "donkey work" chasing the walls for cables(why pay an electrician to do this?) when a labourer can do the work,you could end up in a "mess" trying to do it your way,renorite


Answered 20th Jul 2011

if you don't want deep involvement in the project then leave it to a builder but get all the associated paper work for all the trades that were associated with the work, such as the electrical installation certificate, Part P notification, gas safe document.


Answered 2nd Sep 2011

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories