Ask a tradesperson

Gas Work

Removal/replacement of gas fire with back boiler

We are looking at buying a property that has a wall mounted gas fire with back boiler supplying radiator heating and domestic hot water.

The gas fire is not that attractive and due to the back boiler I am guessing we can't just take it off.

What options do we have? Can we replace the ugly fire or have nothing there? What is the cost of this and is it a big job?

I would guess the walls are around 6 metres wide as the dimensions of the lounge and kitchen added together make 5.92m.

5 Answers from MyBuilder Gas Engineers

Best Answer

Hello good afternoon,

Most Bbu/fire units are now outdated and you will need to replace the boiler with a condensing system boiler or better still a Combi Boiler where you can then remove the Back boiler and fire plus the cylinder and water tanks, as they are not needed anymore. With the combi boiler they are 90% efficient , a lot more than your Bbu/fire [ which are about 55/60% ]

You can then have another gas fire fitted on its own [ Builders opening and flue will require changing ] or a electric fire depending on your requirements.

Its approx a 2 day job to convert to a combi boiler, an average size job with minimum disruption.

Thank you



Answered 23rd Feb 2011

Hi, I would recommend removing this unit and replacing for new modern heating/hot water system. As 30 - 40 % of efficiency is going straight out of the flue. A new condensing combination boiler would be recommended if your demands meet. More than one bathroom or shower then I would advise no, thus returning back, perhaps to a system similar to yours present but relocate the boiler. Other option is a system boiler, this is a pressurised heating system, but you would still have the hot water cylinder and the big cold water storage tank in loft. Make sure whoever estimates for your works carries out a performance check on your cold water main first as this determines if you your water pressure and flow rate is sufficient for such systems.
B.Rogers Plumbing & Heating.


Answered 25th Feb 2011

Hi there,you should be able to get a newer firefront with a little bit of searching on the internet if you are looking for a cheap option.alternatively you can fit a new condensing combi which will free up the fireplace for any type of fire...


Answered 23rd Feb 2011

Hi there
Have been aked this before and done my homework.You cannot remove fire and just leave bbu.You may be able to contact bbu manufacturer to ask if they have a more modern fire that is compatible with current bbu.Alternetive new condensing boiler will be the other option.


Answered 23rd Feb 2011

You should be able to get a new fire for your bbu you cant just have the bbu for obvious reasons.The other option is to have a new condensing fitted


Answered 24th Feb 2011

Post your job to find high quality tradespeople and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories