Loft Conversions Question

Building regs'

Who do we contact for for Building Regulators? We are currently getting quotes for a Loft Conversion we are not having a Dorma Conversion just two or three sky lights. We are putting a staircase in to make it a useable four bedroom house,do i still need to inform Building Regs?
Yours, Mrs E Lynch.

8 Answers

Best Answer

Contact your local planning department, you will need planning permission and building regs.

Answered 5th Jul 2011


Member since 29 Oct 2008

Hi Emma Yes you will require building regulation approval , especially if you are to use as a bedroom etc. Mainly to conform with fire regulations but also to check on size of joists and roof timbers for stability. You can contact your local council your area. Dependent on where you live you may also require planning approval Use builder who is f.m.b. Registered. Google f.m.b find builder Hope this helps. Mark emmpire construction. North west

Answered 5th Jul 2011

M N M Projects Limited

Member since 22 Apr 2008

Just contact your local council and they will be able to give you the information.You will be able to find most of the info on their web site.

Answered 5th Jul 2011

iulian stefan

Member since 16 Jul 2010

the building inspector.yes u do....u cant put stairs in to make the loft space usable with out the building inspector .

Answered 5th Jul 2011

Above All Roofing and Building Services

Member since 5 Jul 2011

you will have to speak to your local planning dept for their approval for the velux windows etc, then building control ,regards Terry.

Answered 5th Jul 2011

tm property services

Member since 9 Mar 2011

yes i would contact your local buildin control office and they will help you with your progect

Answered 5th Jul 2011

s.north carpentry

Member since 5 Jul 2011

if you never just removed us from your posted job we would of been able to discuss all of this and provide you with all the details required and give you relevant contact details.

Answered 5th Jul 2011

APL Property Services

Member since 17 Jun 2009

you do need building regulations, with out them you are just wasting your money. it adds no value to your property. but the most important thing is you need a structural floor. you should really speak to a designer like myself in your area. they will put together plans and calculations which a good builder would need to be able to give you a qoute. this should cost about £500-£600. hope this helps

Answered 11th Jul 2011


Member since 27 May 2010

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Loft Conversion Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions