Ask a tradesman
What are the restrictions/regulations regarding the addition of dormer windows to a loft conversion of a detached house?
Ask as if added the dormer winders will technically overlook a highway. However the road they would overlook would be a non-residential adjacent road to which there is no immediate access from the property and just farmers fields the other side of the road. The windows would not overlook the residential road in front of the house. Would this be allowed as have read that dorner windows are not allowed to overlook a highway.
3 Answers from MyBuilder Loft Conversion Specialists
Hi Theresa, the first place to start asking questions is with someome who would draw up plans, or with your local building control.Phone your council office and ask to be put through to building control.
As they are the people who will ultimately approve or reject your proposal, it is best to speak to them. Tradespeople will have ideas but rules change from time to time and vary by area.
Hope this answers your question.
Answered 5th Jul 2011
You need planing and building regs to install dormer wndows.
Answered 4th Jul 2011
you need to speak to a architect like myself. they would be happy to visit you and assess the situation. you may need planning or it may fall within permitted development rights, either way you will need to put plans into the council. once this has been done you can move onto the building regulations. these detailed drawings are also needed by the builder to qoute and do the job.
if i can be of any help please email me
Answered 12th Jul 2011
Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes
- All Questions
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet & Lino
- Central Heating
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Waste Clearance
- Fascias, Soffits & Guttering
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Hard Flooring
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery
- How do I begin the process of putting a dormer window in along the back of my house?
- I am the a owner of a first floor flat of a victorian terraced house.I would to like a dormer loft conversion or L shape conversion,what type of conversion can i have,& how much would it cost.
- Should I seek a second opinion regarding the standard of a slating repair to a Victorian house?
- Recurring mould issues even after the installation of a PIV System