Handyman Question

Upvc door with euro thumbturn cylinder lock

I have an HMO (house in multiple occupation) rental property that, following an inspection by my local council, they have provided me with a schedule of works to fit new fire doors and hard wired alarm systems etc. Under a section headed SECURITY OF DOORS they have stated the following:- Security device on bedrooms and final exit doors must be capable of being opened from the inside without the use of keys, i.e. Yale type or thumb turn locks.

The bedrooms already have the correct locks but the front and back UPVC doors have ordinary Euro profile cylinder locks and so it is an easy job for me to replace these with a Euro Thumbturn Cylinder Lock, however if I fit these types of locks we will comply with the schedule of works but we will significantly compromise the security of the house and the tenants as it would be very easy for anyone to break the glass next to the handle, turn the thumb screw and hey presto they are in the house. The UPVC doors have glazed panels on the right and left side above the door handle and I could fit my hand through.

This is not an acceptable solution as we cannot compromise the tenants safety so we need to look at another solution. I wondered if it is possible to fit a yale lock onto a UPVC door or does anyone else have an alternative suggestion .

I am not in a position to think about changing the doors for new ones as the alarm system and the fire doors have been a huge cost so we dont have the budget to think about replacing the doors for new ones.

Sash Jammers are going to give me the security I need for this job so one at the top and one at the bottom of the door.


I cant seem to add a comment but just wanted to say thanks to Aksel for that suggestion. that seems to be a much more acceptable solution so I will speak to my local EHO and see if she is happy with that although on the schedule of works it did state that the exit doors had to be able to be opened from the inside without the use of keys.

I like your suggestion a lot as it doesnt compromise the security of the house and will save me about £40 - I have just bought two new locks and they are not cheap.

Thanks again

3 Answers

Best Answer

i think you will find that you can have an emergency key in a break glass box, which is on the wall far away from the door out of reach if the glass is broken. in an emergency the glass is broken, key removed and used to unlock the door.

Aksel ( property3574 )

Answered 13th Jan 2014


Member since 30 Jan 2012

hi, in answer to your problem regarding thumb turn euro locks ordered by the council. this is standard practice so if there was a fire people can get out very quickly and while panicing they would have forgotten where the keys are. thumb turns are used in many public building as standard. now as far as security is concerned i take it that the glass is double glazed units so this is actually not that easy to break and if someone was intent on making that amount of noise then they want to get in very badly and would no matter what. if we are talking about someone who want to burgle the place then they will know of other much quieter ways of getting in that would not draw so much attention like smashing double glazed glass units.

the answer about the key in a glass fronted box on the wall is a good idea until a tenant has lost their door key and decides that they will help themselves to the spare without anyone knowing then where are you now. this has already happened to one of my landlords and funny how nobody ever owned up to taking it. i told him to make sure it was a one off completely different looking key to all the tenants keys so he could identify the culprit in future.

Answered 29th Apr 2014


Member since 29 Apr 2014

The best option would be to put an escape euro sash lock on the door. then even if the door is locked you can get out from the inside using just the handle without having to turn a turn or unlock it with a key yet you will still be maintaining full security on the outside of the door. This is what is now suggested on fire escape doors in flats, student accommodation, ect....

Answered 3rd Feb 2017


Member since 31 Jan 2017

No feedback

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Handymen who can help you with your project.

Search all questions