Plastering Question

Tools for plastering

What are the proper tools required for a plasterer? My son is getting started and I want to buy him the proper gear.

thanks heaps for your expertise!

7 Answers

Best Answer

go to- and click on their Essentials section.
Reasonably priced and good quality. For beginners in that trade.
Happy shopping

Answered 1st Jul 2011

NLC Carpentry & Joinery

Member since 2 Jul 2011

totally agree with bjd..your son needs to go and work with a spread for a while first to learn all the aspects of mixing up etc...then buy himself a trowel and hawk to practice on small areas ...there in no point in buying himself all the tools if he does not know how to use them .build up as experience grows .i always say a good spread needs to be a good labourer first ..good luck

Answered 5th Jul 2011


Member since 30 Sep 2008

Sounds like he hasnt done much or any plastering, as he would know the basic tools required.
If he is just starting out, it would be a good idea to work with a good spread for a year or two.
Basically he could just start of with a hawk, plastering trowel, buckets, brushes, then build up his kit, ie snips, levels, plastering stand and board, a decent drill and whisk, the list could go on as he progresses.
Every one has their preferences for makes of tools, mine are marshall Town part worn trowels, also come in different sizes.
Just to get him going, buy a couple of buckets, one large for knocking up in, plus stanley knife, bucket trowel, gauging trowel, feather edge.
It isnt a lot of outlay for some good quality kit, maybe you could buy him some stilts for xmas.

Answered 1st Jul 2011


Member since 29 Oct 2008

hawk trowel ,gauging trowel ,scratcher ,long and short derby/straightedges,fold away table,plasterboard rasp knife should get him there ,buy marshalltown part worn trowels and if you can afford marshalltown for the rest it is the best make do not buy cheap immitations

Answered 1st Jul 2011


Member since 7 Jun 2008

yeah hawk, trowel (marshalltown most recommended) buckets , bucket trowel , mixer , brushes and pointing trowel , also there is the scaffold aspect , stilts are good but not always the best way , also trestles and batons for ceilings , not recommended just to use step ladders on any decent size ceiling , makes job a lot harder up and down the ladders all the time , hope this helps


Answered 3rd Jul 2011

CT Plastering

Member since 5 Dec 2007

Marshalltown Worn - in finishing trowel is a must - it'll set you back more than the rest, but he'll only buy one further down the line. As a rule anything that's stainless and doesn't rust is a bit pricier but worth it in my opinion. Hawk, trowel, mixer, bucket trowel, buckets, brushes. Think its all been covered by the other guys.


Answered 4th Jul 2011

Staryk Property Contractors Ltd

Member since 23 Jun 2011

The main tools required are A good size finishing trowel, hawk, bucket trowel, 2 x flexi buckets and paint brush for cleaning edges. A Marshall Town trowel will cost about £45 but will last a lifetime and the other tools can be cheaper brands. Alot more tools will required for dry lining and rendering work.

Answered 29th Aug 2011

Artwell Plastering & Tiling

Member since 30 Oct 2010

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Plasterers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions