Ask a tradesman


We have recently had a vertical crack appear

it is 4 bricks down, the crack is visable on the outside of the house and inside. We live on clay soil, could this just be down to the very dry weather or should we contact our insurer? Could this be subsidence?

2 Answers from MyBuilder Bricklayers

Best Answer

if the crack outside directly alighns inside then there is ground movement and your house is on the move,monitor it ie put something in the crack ,and time how long it takes to break loose this will give you an indication of how fast/slow ground conditions are deteriorating


Answered 1st Jul 2011

Contact your insurer first, they will advise you on what to do. If the cracks are both inside and out, i would be inclined to arrange for a structural engineer/surveyor to investigate.


Answered 1st Jul 2011

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories