Conversions - General Question

What qualification certificates do i need to see?

Basically the question is in the title, I was wondering what certificates i need to see from him before he starts the work and how can i tell if they are genuine. Sorry!! I meant to state that it's a builder i am refering too as i am having a conversion done. Thankyou to everyone for their input including the sarcastic comments too!!

7 Answers

Best Answer

Hi Debbie,
You havent stated who you need to see regarding the certificates , is it a builder, electrician, plumber.
Probably best to re-edit your question, you will then get the info your after from the relevant trades on here.

Response to your edited post.
It sounds as if you dont have much confidence in your builder, is it some one you know/recommended or via yellow pages.
There are many building/construction bodies that a lot of trades are members of, ask to see who or if he belongs to any of them, you can check to see if they are backed by insurance, as for qualifications, he could be a fully trained carpenter or bricklayer,and also carry out other trades hes learnt or he will use qualified trades, such as Gas Safe plumbing/heating engineer and part P electrician.
This is all something you should have checked before commiting to him.
You will note on this site, you can look at any trades qualifications, yrs of trading and feedback from other customers.
If hes a well established builder I wouldnt worry to much.

Answered 29th Jun 2011


Member since 29 Oct 2008

Qualifications in what?
Doing building conversions?

Maybe ask if he has any documentation or is a certified member of any organisations"not to say he has qualifications"but you do need to have some knowledge and know what your doing to be accredited.
Is he with the FMB or Safe Contractor?
Most who are dont want a bad name and it makes sense if they pay out the £600 a year to abide by the certain rules etc.

Any tradesman can have all the papers but still leave a customer in the lerch.

I would say the main thing is to work out a payment scheme with him before he starts and what is he specified to do! Draw up a written contract before the starting date and sign and date.
If any extra`s are found and a adjustment in price is needed you can then talk about it and not get stung at the end of works.

My contracts are different,if i quote a price and it is found it takes a day longer or extra expence on materials i take it as my problem and dont ask for more monnies.
A contract/Survey report is a Legal Document and if i as a trader breaks or does not complete all works quoted for! Im in trouble!
Also find out if he has Public Liability and Professional Indemnity.

Good Luck.
Scott Cannon.

Answered 29th Jun 2011

Cannon Preservation Ltd

Member since 21 May 2011

Generally conversions require multiple trades. Unfortunately there are no qualifications that exist for multi trade. The key is to get intouch with the organisation that issues the certificates and check the individuals details. That with gathering as many references as you can from previous clients.
Most are City & Guilds or NVQ trained, all of which you can have verified by contacting those organisations.

Answered 29th Jun 2011

NLC Carpentry & Joinery

Member since 2 Jul 2011

hi debbie,
it would help if you told us what they are going to be doing for you, as for if they are genuine the reason for this site is so you can look at the feedback and pick a tradesman who has some rather than someone you like the look of.

Answered 29th Jun 2011

ADR Property Maintenance

Member since 1 Mar 2009

is he a brain surgeon ,a vet ,an olympic triathlete come on

Answered 30th Jun 2011


Member since 7 Jun 2008

for wot any gas work gas safe card etc electrician napit elecsa so on carpenter best recommendations brickies etc

Answered 29th Jun 2011


Member since 31 Oct 2008

Certificates for what & for whom?
what trades?

Answered 29th Jun 2011

carl melady

Member since 1 Jun 2008

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Conversion Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions