Ask a tradesman


Lead water mains replacement

I would like to get my water supply pipe changed from lead to a mordern plastic pipe, I know that i am responsible for the pipe from ther boundry stop tap to my internal stop tap. But i have had conflicting information on who replaces the lead communication pipe from the boundry stop tap to the water mains in the road. The water board (Veolia Central) say they dont care what i do on my side and they are under no obligation to replace the bit on the street. They also tell me it will cost £800 so iam confused. If some knows the real answer through experience please let me know so i can post a job


6 Answers from MyBuilder Plumbers

Best Answer

You are responsible for the pipework upto the main stop tap in the road

The waterboard own the stop tap and you are not allowed to work on it you will need to get them out to put a tale on the stop tap that you can connect to.

That is probably what the £800 is for


Answered 21st Feb 2011

You are only responsible for the supply pipe from the boundary stop to the property. The communications pipe is the responsibility of the water company.
They will not replace this unless they find a leak from it, and even then they will drag there feet about it.
Some water companies are replacing old boundary stops with meters, so i would suggest attempting to find out if they have any scheduled work for the near future down your street.
See link below:

Hope this helps


Answered 21st Feb 2011

hi,i have just done one.i replaced the lead pipe from the garden stopcock into the house.but it was down to the waterboard to do on the pavement side.and it is very expensive.thanks nick


Answered 21st Feb 2011

We turned a 1 bathroom house into a 3 bathroom house in Dulwich.
We had the water board replace lead with 22mm plastic to achieve more water flow.
We replaced our side and paid them £3,500 as the mains were on the other side of the road.
They are slowly replacing the lead for free but who knows when?
For £800 you will get better quality drinking water and a better flow rate!


Answered 22nd Feb 2011

You can replace your pipe from property to stop tap, get it all inspected before back filling by water board, ie,suround in sand to correct depth.
They will inspect when they come to connect to the stop tap, free of charge here.
They say they are under no obligation to renew from that stop tap to mains in the road, if the pipe burst then they would have to renew it at no cost to you.
This is the case in Severn Trent area.
On another note, when you strip out old pipe, weigh it in, lead is fetching good prices scrap.


Answered 21st Feb 2011

think it depends on the water company north west water have a team that only replaces lead piping in there area. you are responsible for all that is inside your property boundary, had a house in blackpool I had to dig down to the mains from my house wall to the garden boundery the hole had to be 1.6m deep noth west water then came replaced the lead piping all the way to the rising mains then I had to back fill the hole there was no charge just some sweat digging the trench.


Answered 21st Feb 2011

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories