Electrical Question

Electric cooker - can i fit a 13a switch fuse in place of my cooker outlet plate

My question is......
I have a built in electric oven to install in my kitchen, I have a dedicated oven circuit running off a 6mm t/e to the switch and down to a cooker outlet plate ( which is fine )
Because my new oven runs off a 13a plug and there is no socket in close proximity, can I fit a 13a switch fuse in place of my cooker outlet plate?
Meaning the cooker will be fused by the switch fuse?
Mr Builder

7 Answers

Best Answer

Electrical Safety Services has got this bang on...why are other electrical companies not warning you about this legal requirement?...If you do it yourself and get caught, you will be liable for a £5,000 fine...and as for suggesting you need to de-rate the MCB...ouch

If the oven comes with a plug top i.e. you are sure of the power requirements, I would do as others suggest... but be careful...most ovens are of European origin and the flying leads are to suit their sockets which are 16A

Answered 20th Nov 2013


Member since 4 Oct 2013

Yes you can change the cooker connection unit (outlet plate) to a single socket so that you can plug in your new oven.

Answered 19th Nov 2013

Skay Electrical Services

Member since 19 Nov 2013

Yes this is perfectly fine to do, double pole cooker switches sometimes come with their own 13 a socket outlet on the actual switch itself. I would fit a single unswitched socket outlet then put a plug top on the flex from the appliance.

Answered 20th Nov 2013

NRG Electrical installation services

Member since 18 Nov 2013

Part P changes came into effect 6th April 2013 - http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_AD_P_2013.pdf

There is no need to drop the rating of the MCB!

Even if it was notifiable, you can get it inspected by an electrician who can carry out 3rd party testing.

Answered 21st Nov 2013

Emelec Electrical Services

Member since 24 Apr 2013

Yes if you down rate the fuse or mcb to 16 amp you can fit a 13 amp socket
Requires a fully qualified electrician to carry out this work

Answered 19th Nov 2013

P R Electrical Ltd

Member since 15 Apr 2013

Yes this is possible. You need to register your intent to carry out DIY electrical work in the home with your local authority and pay the appropriate fee so that you can get the part P building regulation consent for the works, as all electrical work in the kitchen is part P notifiable.

Answered 19th Nov 2013

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

Yes it can be changed as long as you are qualified or competent to do such work in terms of load and power rating is completely fine

Answered 26th Oct 2018

XHAFA Builders

Member since 13 Mar 2017

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions