Ask a tradesperson

Gas Work

Is it possible to get a gas safe certificate for an already installed boiler?

I recently had an extension built and the plumber, although gas safe registered, failed to issue me with a gas safe certificate for some reason. I didn't notice until I recently tried to have the extension signed off, and appear to have lost the plumbers contact details. Is it possible to have another plumber issue a gas safe certificate (obviously for a fee) ?

6 Answers from MyBuilder Gas Engineers

Best Answer

Hello, Yes it is possible?
The complete installation will need to be inspected this could involve removing the boiler and flue and the then refitting,total visual inspection of the gas pipe or reinstalling the gas pipe, checking any other gas appliances,the condence discharge, pressure release discharge, thermostatic radiator valves, room thermostat, by pass valve will all have to comply with building regulation.
It may be an option to get a Gas Safe inspector to visit and then they can track down the original plumber.
All in all you are now in a difficult situation and this will cost £
many thanks Dave


Answered 25th Jun 2011

Hi, totally agree with all above, not nice to sign off something you havn't installed yourself but a good inspection from a qualified Gas Safe engineer will at least give you piece of mind that everythings safe.


Answered 4th Jul 2011

yes another gas safe plumber can do this , post a job on this site to get prices from local tradesmen, regards Terry.


Answered 25th Jun 2011

Hi. Plumbers dont like to give certificate for the job they have not fix by themeselves. But its possible. Other engineere can provide the certificate. He just need to test it again and if all good than job sorted.



Answered 25th Jun 2011

If your 'Gas Safe Registered' plumber failed to leave you a certificate, then probably he conviently failed to register your new appliance with Gas Safe / Building Control ?

Did he leave you the installation / user manual ?
Is the Bench Mark page filled in ?

Seems like a dodgy / illegal installation to me !

In any event, for your own safety and completely nothing to do with selling your property, I would advise you to post a job on this site immediately for a Gas Safety Inspection.

This way a registered engineer can asses the situation for you and ultimately ensure that you and family / property are safe.

Kind Regards,

Adrian Hagger


Answered 25th Jun 2011

couldnt agree more wiyh southsea p&h get it checked asap


Answered 25th Jun 2011

Post your job to find high quality tradespeople and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories