Ask a tradesperson


Fused spur off consumer unit to outside light

Dear All
The consumer unit in my daughter house is inside the front entrance porch. The consumer unit has RCDs. I visited my local sit store and took advise on what cable to buy for wiring a decorative PIR lamp outside of the door. I connected the cable to the correct connections within the consumer unit, by this I mean the down stair lighting circuit, ensuring mains was turned off before doing so, I them fed the wire behind the plaster board to a fused / switched spur which was only 3ft away, then used the same wire to go through the wall from the spur to lamp. The spur is fitted with a 5amp fuse. I gave used a circuit tester and all seems i.e. power switching on off etc when using switch.
A/ Is this a safe method of wiring the light
B/ do I need to get this checked to comply with the law.

4 Answers from MyBuilder Electricians

Best Answer

Yes perfectly fine as long as You obviously tested the circuit with a calibrated test instrument and filled in all the relevant paperwork and certified the work through the scheme your are registered with or through you local building control. If none of the above has been done your liable for a £5000.00 fine and your daughters home insurance invalid. Google part p.


Answered 29th Oct 2013

Bad news I'm afraid, you have already broken the law! As it is a requirement that you apply for and pay for part P building regulation consent to carry out DIY electrical work before you start doing any work.

Best bet is to come clean and approach the local building control officer and pay the relevant late notification fees (probably around £200 - £300) so that the work can be inspected and signed off so its all legal and compliant.

You need to be careful as currently the fine is £5000 for breaching part P of the building regulations and it may not be until several years time (normally when the property is sold) that part P raises its ugly head and this illegal work becomes apparent.

see weblinks below;


Answered 29th Oct 2013

Five essential tests required to issue a minor works certificate.
1/earth continuity.
2/insulation resistance.
3/earth fault loop impedance.
5/RCD operation: rated residual operating current/operating time
in ms.
Then job requires registering so as to obtain a compliance certificate.
The above is why it is by far the easiest way to be compliant with the regulations is to employ the services of a registered electrician. It is very often also the cheapest way to comply.


Answered 3rd Nov 2013

You should have informed building control or issue a Minor work Certificate as you are altering and adding in that circuit.The circuit needs testing that comply with disconnecting times and you have performed the job safely and the readings should be recorded in Certificate.


Answered 28th Aug 2020

Post your job to find high quality tradespeople and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories