Electrical Question

Eicr unsatisfactory - what next?

We had an EICR done on our property, which came back unsatisfactory. The codes have come back as: fusebox not covered (C1); earthing cable of water and gas live exposed & no insulation (C2). There are also four C3 codes.
My understanding is that the C1 needs to be dealt with immediately & to pass the test I need to get the C2s done also. The C3s are recommended but not mandatory.

The company that did the test quoted £650 for all the work (although their written quote was a bit vague) & another electrician told me he can install a new fusebox with RCD protection for £500, which will allow us to pass the test.

I would like to do what is necessary for our safety but I don't have a huge budget right now. Should I get a third quote?

2 Answers

Best Answer

£500 - £650 for a new fusebox and earthing is very expensive and you should be able to get quotes at half that price or less!

All C1 & C2 defects have to be addressed in order to make the installation Satisfactory. C3 defects are more advisable as opposed to mandatory.

Answered 15th Oct 2013

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

Hi Tina,

C1 = Danger Present, Risk of Injury, Immediate remedial action required
C2 = Potentially dangerous. Urgent remedial action required
C3 = Improvement recommended

Your description of the C2 observations do not make much sense but it appears that your earthing system needs updating. That said, it doesn't really matter as the EICR has failed your home on safety grounds.

You can get a consumer unit (fuse-box) changed for anything between £300 and £450, the earthing depends on the run and would be between £50 and £150 to complete.

I would stay away from the second "electrician", I have never heard so much tosh in all my life, installing a consumer unit, RCD or not, will not allow you to "pass the test". A satisfactory EICR depends on making/recording nearly a hundred observations, only a few of which are connected to the consumer unit.

Sorry but to be safe you will need a qualified electrician to do the necessary. Make sure whoever you choose is Part P registered, this is important....ask for his ID card.

Answered 15th Oct 2013


Member since 4 Oct 2013

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions