Extensions Question

Lean to into an extension

Hi I currently have a lean to that has a concrete base and is made out of board, wood, glass and plastic roof. It was put up in the 70s. It measures 12.5 foot by 8 foot and runs along side of the house next to the kitchen. What I would like to do is extend the kitchen into it as currently it's a wasted space but obviously would want it to be made a bit sturdier and safer in terms of security. Would I require planning?

2 Answers

Best Answer

Short answer is you would have to check with your looking planning office as certain areas have different permissions. One area may be relaxed and let you carry on with only building control, other wont even let an extension or alteration take place. So the only person who can answer this is your local planning officer

Answered 17th Oct 2013

Signet Building Ltd

Member since 20 Jan 2012

Under permitted development, a single storey side extension is permissible providing it is not wider than 50% of the width of the original building, does not project further forward of the main elevation fronting the highway and is not higher than 4M at the eaves, and it should also be 2M or more from any boundary. You can check with your local planning department help desk if the permitted development rights have been removed for your house / street. You will however require Building Control approval if you are making the current lean to habitable or forming any structural openings.

Answered 14th Oct 2013

Brayfield Construction

Member since 1 Oct 2013

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Extension Builders who can help you with your project.

Search all questions