Electrical Question

C&g 2391 or not c&g 2391 (or current equivalent 2395)

I have a electrician who has SVQ111, SJIB recognised 17th edition inspection & testing (bs7671) 2010. Select & Niceic registerd - a client says he can't change a domestic fuse board without C&G 2391 or as revised 2395? What can he do & is this right is the 2391 a requirement or a nice to have? Thanks

3 Answers

Best Answer

I was required to have 2391 to remain full scope (able to install new circuits/CU's) by my governing body which I took in 2012.
You will be able to check with NICEIC for their requirements.

Answered 11th Oct 2013

kevin cassidy building contractors

Member since 16 Dec 2010


If he is registered with the Niceic as a full scope domestic installer or contractor then he can certify all domestic work. He has proven that he is competent to test and install and issue relevant paper work as a qualified supervisor.

Answered 11th Oct 2013

Triumph Electrical.

Member since 2 Apr 2012


Just to complicate things.

Technically, to be able to change a consumer unit you do not need any qualifications, it is not illegal for anyone to do so.

However, under building regulations, it is a legal requirement to notify local building control. If you do not notify local building control a £5,000 fine is the result, if you do notify they will want a hefty fee and to see proof of competence before they sign off. So it is best to use someone who is Part P registered with a trade body.

To be accepted by most trade bodies, you have to be able to prove competence, this is done by passing an examination on BS7671 2008 amd 2011, commonly and currently known as the 17th Edition regulations, and by also demonstrating working knowledge of the same, annually.

To fill in a test certificate, you need only be a "competent person" which is really a joke as you can see how the comfort of a piece of paper is only as strong as the person who filled it in. Most trade bodies see "competent person" as an individual having passed inspector exams, which used to be the 2391 but has now been split into 2394 and 2395 for periodic and Initial respectively.

Part P registration through NICEIC, ELECSA or NAPIT tries its very best to weed out the cowboys with some success and this recent raising of the bar to include inspector qualifications is welcomed by those of us who routinely see/hear horror stories.

To answer your specific question, the client is wrong, you do not need 2391/2395 to change a consumer unit, but you will do from April this year to gain Part P registered status, which allows cheaper and easier notification to local building control, which is the same song just a different tune.

At last, test certificates, in a domestic setting at least, will actually be filled in by qualified inspectors and they will be worth what is written within them.

I hope that this helps

Answered 13th Oct 2013


Member since 4 Oct 2013

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions