Restoration & Refurbishment Question

Where to start with extending original kitchen by knocking down internal wall

Hello, we want to extend our rather small kitchen by knocking down an internal wall which leads to a small lobby area. After which we want a completely new kitchen fitting, which will include flooring, tiling, electrics....the full works. We have no idea how to start, any info will be greatly appreciated.

1 Answer

Best Answer

First and foremost you need to establish if the wall that needs knocking down is loadbearing or not as this will impact on design and layout. If it is structural you will need supporting piers and will need Building Control approval. Either a competent builder or Architect / Engineer can advise you on this.
After this you can set about getting a kitchen design prepared which depending on budget can simply be done by yourself or you could use suppliers such as Howdens Joinery or drop into your local B&Q etc most of which offer a free design service. Once you have a plan / chosen your range of units, worktops, taps, sinks, appliances etc it should be straight forward for a builder to be able to give you a pretty accurate costing for all the works required. Alternatively you could employ separate tradesmen but then you will have all the responsibility for co-ordinating them to be on site at the right time

Answered 8th Oct 2013

Brayfield Construction

Member since 1 Oct 2013

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Restoration & Refurb Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions