Ask a tradesman


I'm updating my old fuse box with an rcd unit and will be putting a new kitchen in. some people have said the wiring may have to be updated to work with the new kitchen. is this true?

4 Answers from MyBuilder Electricians

Best Answer

no, you may need to change your electrics to suit your new kitchen, you may need to have a earth upgrade to your gas and water and if you are putting in a new oven you may need a larger cable to feed the oven, if your electric cables are black rubber you will need to change the cable but if you have that you will probably need a full rewire

It is always best to have a periodic inspection done on your electrics before you change your fuse box.

ian parker
iparker electrical


Answered 17th Jun 2011

Not necessarily no. Providing that the cables in place are intact and meet the requirements for BS 7671 then they could be used.

A full range of tests would be carried out to establish the condition of the cables / circuits before this decision is made. The value of Insulation Resistance would normally determine the outcome. (Unless they are old rubber cables)

Your safety electrical bonding, main tails and main earth will more than likely require upgrading too.

Presumably you have an Electrician covering this installation for you? A full Electrical Installation certificate would be required under Part P of the building regulations.




Answered 17th Jun 2011

It depends - if the wiring in the kitchen fails the electrical testing then yes, but if not then the RCD unit will provide all the 'updates' that you need. I always carry out a Periodic Test and Inspect Report (PIR) before any fuse board change so that my customers know in advance if there are any problems that will need to be put right - and how much these might cost. They can then make an informed decision. about how to proceed.
I suggest your first port of call is getting the PIR done

Hope this helps
Donna Lister
ATB Electrical


Answered 17th Jun 2011

Any new work in a kitchen comes under part P of the building regs, so all sockets must be RCD protected if they are not already. Also, any cables for lighting that are in the wall less than 50mm and not mechanically protected must be RCD protected. I agree with the answer obove - have a PIR done first


Answered 22nd Jun 2011

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories