Demolition & Clearing Question

What's the procedure for disconnecting gas and electricity services before demolition

We are demolishing a 1930s bungalow and rebuilding on a different footprint on the site and I'm finding it very difficult to work out exactly what I have to do, and with who, to get my gas and electricity disconnected and a temporary electricity supply connected. I understand that for each service we have to deal not only with our billing company but also the supplier.
We have our gas bills with British gas but the supplier is National Grid. I thought I'd notified them by sending the council's Section 80 notice to them with plans a few weeks ago, but they seem to have no record of this when I chased it up. Apparently I sent it to the wrong department and no one notified me. And it seems there's a much more involved application process which we have to go through which will take up to 12 weeks. A 12 week delay to get the gas disconnected will seriously hold up the project.
Likewise for electricity, we have to deal with EON as well as our billing company. But when I try to fill in EON's online form half the multiple choice questions have no answers which really apply to our situation.

Can anyone clarify the situation for me? Who (billing company or supplier) does what? Can I use a registered gas engineer/electrician to do any of it rather than the supplier? Is there any way to speed things up? And are there any avoidable costs/cheaper options for doing it?
Hope you can help! Thanks very much

4 Answers

Best Answer

We do alot of demolition and you have to get the supplier to disconect the services

Answered 20th Jun 2011

Utley Excavations Ltd

Member since 29 Nov 2009

welcome to the real world the utility company's are a law unto themselves you have to follow their rules unfortunately, you also have to pay a fortune as well like where is the competition in that, what a pitty they are not forced to put all their jobs up on that would bring the prices down

Answered 10th Sep 2011


Member since 9 Oct 2008

Unfortunatley all gas and electric upto and including the meter will have to be disconected by you supplier and cannot be carried out by an electrician/gas engineer. The supply companies can be difficult to deal with but you have to be persistant.

Answered 16th Jun 2011

Jenga Electrical

Member since 23 Nov 2010


You will have to contact your supplier its normally a long wait.

Answered 4th Oct 2018

Mk Demolition And Reclaim

Member since 20 Aug 2018

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Demolition Contractors who can help you with your project.

Search all questions