You could win £1,000 for your home! Post a job now to enter

Plumbing Question

Wiring simple thermostat to diverter valve

I am running a very simple back boiler to a few rads with an open header tank in case of expansion. I want to divert the water when it gets too hot to my indirect hot water cylinder. So I was thinking of adding a diverter valve simply wired to a thermostat so that when the temperature in the pipes gets to a certain amount it will divert the water to the tank as if it is an extra radiator.

The plumbing of all this is simple and I am happy to undertake it but wiring a simple thermostat to the diverter valve is new to me. Is this a simple operation? Can you point me in the direction of a wiring diagram to satisfy this model?

Thank you

1 Answer

Simply fitting a 3 port valve to your heating circuit and wiring it to your existing room stat will not work. I am assuming from your post that your indirect cylinder water is heated by an immersion heater only and not gravity fed back to the boiler.

What you propose is best undertaken by a qualified heating engineer, but if you are confident you can undertake this modification in a safe manner. You will first have to install a twin channel programmer and junction box. The junction box is a wiring centre for all of your heating controls, the other heating controls are as follows: Room Thermostat, Cylinder Thermostat, Pump, 3 port valve (Y Plan) for everything to work properly I would suggest you purchase a complete heating control pack, see link below

Follow the manufacturer's installation instructions, and be prepared to lift up floorboards to run communication wiring and a suitable power supply to the programmer. Best place to locate all of these heating controls is next to your vented cylinder, also modifications to heating circuit too, so you can create a 'Y Plan' system.

You already have a pump and room stat, so additional equipment will be required as previously stated.

Remember that this work is not for the faint-hearted and any mods to your heating circuit pipework will require soldering, but alternatively you could carry this element of work out with compression or speed fit fittings, if you are not competent with soldering.

Answered 25th Sep 2013

Boiler Home Care

Member since 6 Jan 2010

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Plumbers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions