Electrical Question

Part p certificate for under cabinet lighting

Builder wants 150 quid for fitting under cabinet lights / changing two spots to two pendant fittings and another 150 quid for issuing a Part P certificate.
Don't really understand the Part P business. Are under cabinet lights low voltage, hence don't need, is it a 'circuit'? etc..
Advice very useful, thanks

2 Answers

Best Answer

Builder normally = Cowboy! Be very cautious as they are not electricians!

Part P was introduced in 2005 after an MP's daughter was killed. If you break the law and don't comply with Part P then you can be fined up to £5000. The easiest route for compliance is to hire a part P registered electrician to do the work.

Answered 20th Sep 2013

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

Don't use a builder, use a registered electrician. It will be a lot cheaper.

Answered 20th Sep 2013

All Wired Up

Member since 27 Jul 2009

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions