Ask a tradesman

Conversions - General

Opening up a space .

Currently I have a pillar dividing a small kitchen and diner. There are two openings allowing free movement around this pillar. However it's removal would allow more natural light into the dining area. The pillar supports a load bearing wall and therefore an RSJ would need to be inserted. Do I need to get permission to do this work and if so- who do I approach?

3 Answers from MyBuilder Conversion Specialists

Best Answer

You need a structural engineer to calculate the sizes etc of beam, also inform building control, as it must satisfy building regs.
They will sign it of when done to their regs.


Answered 15th Jun 2011

Your local building control officer would be the first person to contact before any work is undertaken.


Answered 15th Jun 2011

for this job i would recommend searching locally for a chartered architect (i'm sure you can find reviews on Google etc)

a good or competent architect can point you in the direction of a structural engineer and can deal with building control, thus taking a lot of the work off your shoulders.

it sounds like you have a single story extension to the rear?

if this is the case i would imagine the rear wall of the house, the roof and the pitch of the extension would be taken into account on the load - thus you may need a large steel!

all the best with your project


Answered 16th Jun 2011

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories