Electrical Question

What certificates are required from electrician to work in commercial building?

I own a business and want to get new lights fitted in my office. I wanted to know if, when I hire an electrician to carry out the work, they need to show me any certificates. I'd presume they'd need public liability insurance, but is there anything else I need from them, particularly as it is for an workplace with several employees?

Many thanks

2 Answers

Best Answer

They should be issuing you with an Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC) on completion of the works. The electrician does not have to be Part P registered as that only applies to domestic work, but for your own safety you should only hire a registered contractor. Look and ask for evidence of their NICEIC or ECA membership.

Answered 18th Sep 2013

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

You could ask for copies of the electricians qualifications such as an nvq level 3, however there are many routes to become and electrician. If the electrician is part p qualified (even though they don't need to be in the commercial sector) it shows you that the electrician has reached a recognised standard and the qualifications and knowledge base of the electrician has been checked, in a domestic setting at least.

Answered 26th Nov 2013

Hants Electrical

Member since 24 Sep 2013

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions