Flooring Question

Damage to 4 day old washing machine

The council was renovating my bungalow, whilst moving white goods the washing machine broke. As it was old it was replaced with a brand new one with full fitting service. The new one was fitted on Friday. On Monday council sub contractors came to fit the flooring. The damage was noticed and reported that week to the council. The damage is a dent on the front panel about 5 cm in diameter. They now have passed me onto the sub contractor, I am an old age pensioner, who should I be dealing with? What are my rights? Am I entitled to a new one? Can they force me to have it repaired?

2 Answers

Your contract is with the council and as such that is where the buck stops, it is the council who have a contract with the sub contractor and as such up to them to pursue any claim for their losses.
Your claim should be with the council, it is reasonable for them to repair the machine if it can be done provided both sides are happy with the situation. Personally as it is new I would want it replaced like for like minus any dents and would not settle for a repair.

Good luck Alex

Answered 17th Sep 2013

ADR Property Maintenance

Member since 1 Mar 2009

From a loss adjusting point of view, you would be entitled to have your machine restored back to its pre-loss condition. This would mean that you are only entitled to a repair, if this is possible. The repair should not be noticeable once complete otherwise you have not been returned to the pre loss condition.

If it cannot be repaired, then you would be entitled to a new machine, this is unlikely given its age since the parts are likely to be available.

Answered 17th Sep 2013


Member since 26 Jul 2012

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Flooring Fitters who can help you with your project.

Search all questions