Electrical Question

What would electrical report show?

Following a Home Buyers report on our property, it has been suggested a electrical report be obtained. Whilst we assume the electrics complied with the safety standard when we bought the house in 1987, we appreciate the standards have changed since then. What would the electrical report show, just it's out of date or it was up to standard in 1987? Would we be expected to have the house rewired as all looks fine to us with no problems to date.

3 Answers

The simple terms are it will state your fuse board will need upgrading your incoming tails need upsizing to 25mm from 16mm and your bonding is wrong size, all sockets must have switches, maybe circuits separating under 17th edition regs. Hope it helps, jeh electrical.

Answered 17th Sep 2013

jeh electrical

Member since 9 Oct 2012

As per the guidance published in BS7671 wiring regulations, as the owner of the property, it is your responsibility to get the wiring fully tested at regular intervals. (Normally every 10 years) as such you should really have two condition reports on file, to show to the prospective buyers although I guess you were unaware of what BS7671 stipulates.

As the insulation on wiring ages, it starts to crack and become brittle and is therefore less effective. Therefore an insulation resistance test would be carried out to check for deterioration, as well as a series of other tests designed to check that its all functional and ok.

For a property last rewired or built in 1987, the wiring should be in good condition, but it's likely that there will be no electric shock protection fitted (RCD's) or circuit breakers etc. These are not mandatory but would be considered as areas for improvement in order to be fully compliant with the 2008 edition of BS7671 wiring regulations.

In most cases is just a few hundred pounds to get this sort of issue resolved.

Answered 18th Sep 2013

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

Yes, Electrical Safety Services is right. Also you would need your bonding upgraded, what I mean by this is 10mm earth cable from 600 mm entry into the house for water and 600mm on the consumer side of the gas supply (or reasonably practical) this should be run back to your consumer unit.

Actually it is now against the law to carry out any electrical work inside a property unless this is present and should be done first. This will then give electricity a fault path to travel to in case there was a fault, if any of your pipes became live at any point.

RCD's are also very important and you wouldn't believe how many home owners have never heard of one or what they do. These are devices fitted into your consumer unit that picks up neutral to earth faults, potentially saving your life from an electrical shock because they trip at speeds of under 30milli seconds and they also protect your home from electrical faults that would potentially cause a fire. Money well spent in my eyes!!! If the inspection and testing comes back ok, you have a 17th edition RCD consumer unit and your pipes are bonded, your home is safe.

Answered 19th Sep 2013

Ecolek Wales Ltd

Member since 19 Sep 2013

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions