Restoration & Refurbishment Question

Installing an rsj onto a cavity wall

Hi there

I am looking at buying a semi detached house and would like to knock down the solid wall between the lounge and dining room wall to open out to one big room. The problem I have is I won't buy the house if the only way to do this is to leave nibs ( piers ) either side of the wall for the rsj to sit on. So what I would like to know is it possible to sit the rsj on top of the external cavity wall on one side and then on the opposite existing wall leaving no piers either side thus leaving me with an one large open room as desired. I would obviously have a structural engineer out to do the calculations for steel. However I wouldn't buy the house without knowing if this was possible. Any advice would be most appreciated.

1 Answer

Best Answer

Yes this is possible.
The end of the steel to the external wall should be fine being flush; the other end maybe a bit more complicated in just how stable the remaining supporting wall is; this can be resolved by introducing a steel post within the line of the wall.
Which way do the floor joists run? Does the wall continue in the same line at first floor? the wall may not even be load bearing and then no beams are needed!

A GOOD engineer should not have a problem dealing with this, it would be worth asking a local engineer to pop round and advise (there maybe be a small charge)

Answered 18th Sep 2013

JLM Architecture Limited

Member since 5 Sep 2013

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Restoration & Refurb Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions