Architectural Services Question

Architectural plan needed for kitchen/garage knock through to create new larger kitchen

Howdens have advised me that they can't plan my new kitchen until I have a clearly defined space drawn on a plan by an architect. We are planning to knock down the wall between my kitchen and garage to create a much larger kitchen with a structural pillar in the middle. We're planning to put an island around the central pillar and then move the existing kitchen into the garage area adding new units where needed around the walls. I'm concerned that getting such a plan drawn will be expensive. Can anyone advise me how much it might cost and how long it will take to get it done? We are in Surrey. Kind regards

2 Answers

Best Answer

Making structural changes to your home and the garage conversion needs Building Regulation approval and you should apply for this before you start work.
I would advise that plans are prepared to achieve the approval plus they are used to get quotations from builders and ensure the build is done safely and correctly.
To prepare plans and submit would take about a week or so and cost about £700 plus council application and inspection fees - your local council should show those costs on their website. It sounds like a structural engineer may also be needed for the opening which will increase costs by about £300.
Hope that is of help.

Answered 11th Sep 2013

JLM Architecture Limited

Member since 5 Sep 2013

You could use the services of a Chartered Architectural Technologist as we are experts in building detail design and can provide all the required drawings, details and specifications with full Professional Indemnity. Thanks, James.

Answered 18th Oct 2013


Member since 18 Oct 2013

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Architectural Services who can help you with your project.

Search all questions