Plastering Question

Can cracked rendering be repaired without taking it all off, its only a year old?

We have new rendering (the one that doesnt need painting) put on our house a year ago, it did crack within a couple of days so the builder has hacked the front off and reapplied but a year on there is a massive crack down the side of the property and some fine lines at the back, we cannot afford to have this all rendered again and the builder had already done the front even though he said he did everything right and doesnt understand why this happened. Now a year on this large crack has appeared and he has not returned our calls are we in trouble with this financially now? we are so worried and our funds are so low. We was not given any type of guarantee.

6 Answers

Best Answer

maybe if the render was a product named Monopral or Monocouche made by Weber, you might be able to get in touch with them because they should have a gaurantee they have a rep who will come round and tell you what the problem is customer services tel No 01525 722100 or technical assistance 01525722110 hope this is some help


Answered 12th Jun 2011

If the crack has appeared above a window or door , this could mean the joint between the lintal and blockwork needs to be taped with hessian roll, then rendered .
hope this helps
R. Carrigan


Answered 10th Jun 2011

Sounds to me like you've had 'K-Rend' or a similar product applied, which is a great rendering system 'if' it's installed correctly.
Did you check to see if the installer was covered by 'Liability Insurance' ?
Get in touch with Trading Standards to see if they can help!
Hope this helps


Answered 10th Jun 2011

If there is a structural problem with the building you should have cracks on the inside as well as the outside. The plasterer should not be held responsible for this as he is a plasterer not an engineer.
The old soft, very porous bricks if not moistened prior to the render can suck the moisture out of the new render causing it to dry to quick and crack.
If this is the case there should be areas where it has not bonded to the wall. You can tap the render with a small solid object. If the sound is the same all over it has keyed to the wall. If there is areas of hollow, drummy sound you have a right to call the plasterer for defective work.
Good luck


Answered 10th Jun 2011

If there is problem with the structure of the building the render will keep cracking.The builder who did this rendering should have picked up on this and strapped/meshed it accordingly.If you have no guarantee you may not sort this out,but the original tradesman should do as his reputation is on the line.
It sounds to me that theres not enough key for the new render or it has not been damped down enough after and thereforedryed to quick and shrunk.
Good luck Shaine.


Answered 10th Jun 2011

Hi we are rendering specialists and recommended instalers of systems if you would like advice please check our profile and feel free to ring for free helpful advice, regards.


Answered 13th Jun 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Plasterers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions