Gas Work Question

Replacing a non-condensing boiler

Hi, I have an old (c. 12 years) non-condensing boiler. It works ok but I know it's very inefficient compared to modern boilers and would prefer to get it replaced before it dies on me.

Am I right in thinking it would have to be replaced with a condensing boiler (i.e. it cannot be replaced with another non-condensing one, like-for-like)?

If so, are there any exceptions? Reason I ask is that the boiler is on the back wall of a top-floor flat, away from any drainage pipes, and without scaffolding going up I don't see how a gas engineer could fit the condensate pipe needed for a condensing boiler.



7 Answers

Best Answer

It is law that all new boilers are condensing so yes it will have to be a condensing type.
There are several ways to route the condensate so the height/elevation etc should not be a problem for a professional.
These sort of problems demonstrate our ability - don't worry your engineer will deal with it.
If you were local I could quote!!

Answered 9th Jun 2011

A French Plumbing & Heating

Member since 7 May 2011

Hi there,we normally run the condense in to a kitchen waste if an outside drain isn't accessible,hope this helps Paul

Answered 9th Jun 2011

vortex plumbing & heating solutions

Member since 25 Nov 2008

The condensing pipe can run inside and be fitted to your wash basin/ soil stack etc.

Answered 9th Jun 2011

Pro Finishing Services

Member since 12 Jan 2010

A condensing boiler will still need to be fitted. Unfortunately regs say there is always a way to do a job even if it means relocating the boiler or maybr using a pump.

Answered 9th Jun 2011

Mildenhall Plumbing and Heating Ltd

Member since 17 May 2011

Hi, previous responses all correct advice but if all else fails scaffolding will have to be provided - more cost but oly once to do.

Answered 10th Jun 2011

AJ Plastering & Building Services

Member since 14 Jan 2010

Hi,the answers you have been given have all been spot on,and I would take their advice very seriously.

Answered 16th Jun 2011


Member since 22 Jan 2010

ok so there are exceptions to this rule and there is an exception to fitting a condensing boiler, but here you are talking about money and the laws that be will not nod their head to save you cash.. ok you are able to fit boilers from the inside if your a good experianced engineer and the condensate pipe is able to be fitted internally. where theres a will theres a way.. Lee Our Plumber (East Yorkshire)

Answered 16th Jul 2011

our plumber

Member since 23 Nov 2010

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Gas Engineers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions