Ask a tradesman


I have 3 mr16 lights with transformer 240-12v.can these be plugged in instead of wiring up to the mains.if so what amp do i use

7 Answers from MyBuilder Electricians

Best Answer

Its not advisable..Sorry


Answered 8th Jun 2011

If the lights are going through a fused plug fited with a 6A fuse, yes. Or going through a spur fitted with a 6A fuse. Is not a "by the book" solution but can be done. The requirements are to have the lights fed through a suitable RCD protected circuit and have no more than 6A (some situations you are allowed up to 10A) limit.
You can find these kind of setups on under the cabinet lights, designer cupboards which have the light fittings already installed. All you need is to provide 240V through a 6A spur.


Answered 9th Jun 2011

Not Advisable is the correct answer.

If an electrical item is portable and used in a portable manner, then it would be wired to a plug top.

If an item is fixed then this should be hard wired to the mains supply correctly.

A switched fused spur could be used which will give local isolation and local protection with the fuse carrier built in.

Total load should be labelled on the transformer. Always install the lowest rating fuse possible.

If no transformer was being used and these were mains voltage, then your total load in amps would be 0.62A if each of the 3 lamps were 50watts. (P = P over V X I) Therefore a 3amp fuse would be used. In this case total load will be less as the lamps are low voltage.

Hope this helps.



Answered 9th Jun 2011

Does your question mean that you want to attach a plug to the flex cable of the transformer and then plug into socket and operate from the switch of the socket ?
If so the answer is yes but not advisable as the lighting will be fixed so the means of switching should be allocated for that purpose so a swiched fused spur protected by an rcd would be ideal . The rating of the fuse in either the fuse carrier of the spur or the plug ( if you decide to go down that route ) would need to be 3 amps . If using the plug option then ensure all trailing leads are clipped in place to ensure they dont get accidently pulled / caught during local activity .


Answered 10th Jun 2011

they need to be connected in to mains and switch .is not recommended to have them in plug because they create sparks every time you plug in and out.


Answered 9th Jun 2011

Your question is a bit vague. Is this a pre-formed kit with one transformer? If yes, are these going in a kitchen under wall cupboards? If yes, then they can be plugged into a socket with a maximum of 5 amp fuse. If they are not pre-wired, they should only be fitted by a registered domestic installer (comes under part P of the building regs)


Answered 9th Jun 2011

yeh that is acceptable if it is for something like a temperery display or something ,
if anything you could use an rcd plug and fit a 5amp fuse,


Answered 9th Jun 2011

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories