Kitchen Fitting Question

I am moving into a fairly new flat and i don't like the kitchen units. is it a big job to replace the units exactly where they are now and would the work surface have to be taken off then replaced.

7 Answers

Best Answer

hello there. you would not have to replace the whole units just the doors and draw fronts and end panels,cornice,light pelmet & plinths
We do this quite alot when the carcasses are in good condition its called facelift
Not sure where you are from but could give you a quote for the works.
Hope this helps

Answered 8th Jun 2011

Ch kitchens bedrooms bathroom

Member since 4 Jun 2011

Hi, if the worktops have been mitred then you may have to replace them, as they will more than likely have been glued together. You maybe lucky enough to be able to change just the door fronts, that is if the carcases are ok, sometimes it is just as easy to change the whole kitchen, placing the same size units in the same location as before, this will make short work of the plumbing and the wiring. Hope this helps.

Answered 8th Jun 2011

Bluevan Ltd

Member since 22 Aug 2009

Hi alexlee
If you do decide to change the doors and drawer fronts, please take a look at my website.
I can make any size foil (vinyl) wrapped panel within the dimensions given on the site.
Kind regards
Paul Sharpington

Answered 9th Jun 2011

Bellini Manufacturing

Member since 7 Apr 2011

hi as stated you can change the fronts of the units if there in good condition,most diy shops just sell the fronts etc to do this

Answered 8th Jun 2011


Member since 18 Feb 2009

As other response it is possible to replace the doors, panles etc if the units are reasonably new. This is the most cost effective way to do this as the labour charge would be less than renewing all units and this is not necessary. However, be aware that unless you can purchase doors etc from a supplier that sells these seperate to the carcass i.e. B&Q then the cost of the doors from Magnets, Howdens etc can be as much as 80% of the unit cost (they do not want to sell just doors). should you want to change any units in full it would be possible to do this without removing the worktop as the units will be on legs which can be fitted and raised up to the worktop - we do such retro fit on insurance claims.
G&H Building Services

Answered 8th Jun 2011

G&H Building Services (UK) LTD

Member since 21 Oct 2009

A door facia upgrade is all thats necessary with new handles and plinths and possibly cornice all this provided the carcases are in good condition .even a new tap can spice up a tired kithen
Regards pj
Jarvis & jarvis

Answered 8th Jun 2011

Jarvis & Jarvis

Member since 31 Oct 2010

Hi there, you don't have to take the worktops off, all that is needed is to replace one base unit at a time so as to support the top, the top should be supported by a batton of wood where no base unit is I.E appliance spacies, but if its the look that you dont like then its just a case of changing the doors and draw fronts along with plinths,end panals basically what has the same colour scheme, one small point if changing doors the hinge hole in base unit might not correspond with the hinge on the doors thus re'drilling hinge hole but you should be able to get cover caps for old hinge holes, hope this helps you many thanks MARK. M.S Joinery

Answered 8th Jun 2011


Member since 1 Mar 2010

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Kitchen Fitters who can help you with your project.

Search all questions