Kitchen Fitting Question

How to get wall units level when walls are out of plumb trying to connect units side by side

If anyone has pictures or diagrams of what it should look like when said Mount onto battens. for a Kitchen fitting novice like myself.

Cheers for all hints didn't expect any.

14 Answers

Best Answer

The last time walls were straight was on an architects' plans!

When walls are out on the vertical, you can fit battens to the walls, then fit the cabinets onto the battens, to ensure they are level top & bottom.

When walls are out on the horizontal, you can fit packers to the back of the cabinets and/or chop out some of the plaster or render to ensure level.

Also, some cabinet wall fixings are adjustable for when walls are out of true (e.g. Wickes) and allow for both horizontal and vertical adjustment to ensure cabinets align in both planes and also front to back. IKEA cabinets fit flat to wall so options 1 & 2 above are the only ways to solve the problem.

This Q&A section does not have the facility to upload photos of a batten being used to help level a cabinet - sorry !

Answered 5th Jun 2011

Hollybank Enterprises Limited

Member since 23 Jun 2010

Hi Woody,

Usually you mark a datum line horizontally along the wall at around 900mm from the floor using a long spirit level or laser level - then use the screw in adjustable feet of the base units to adjust the height of them to that line. Then when they are all in place and adjusted to the right height you can screw them together (where the screws will not be seen).

The walls being out of plumb is not usually a significant problem as long as you can get a good fixing back to them for the base units, when the worktop is fitted it can either be scribed in to meet the walls or if the gaps are small the splash-back tiling can be used to cover them.


Answered 5th Jun 2011

RL Housebuilders Ltd

Member since 5 Jun 2011

Hi there,

Most kitchen suppliers will incorporate adjustable hinges with their wall units which will enable the fitter to adjust the horizontal and vertical level.

Horizontal level - Along the length of the wall

Vertical level - Moving the top of the cabinet closer, or further away from the wall surface) thus adjusting the plumb of the unit.

This method could then be mimicked with adjoining cabinets.

I hope that this helps.

Answered 5th Jun 2011


Member since 8 May 2008

The answer is not to connect every unit to the wall but to connect the units together first, Then you can offer them up and leave loose, or even prop them up until you are horizontally plumb, then fix to the wall, most walls are not completely flat , if you try to fix flat to the wall, each unit will pull out at the front.
Do you have clamps? Clamp a unit to the next one, drill and fix to the wall, fix the cabinets walls together, then adjust the height on the wall fixing, leave the pulling into the wall on the vertical plumb until you have your cabinets up.

I always hide a screw under the hinge at the front of the cabinet, use 30mm screws or what was provided.

Answered 5th Jun 2011

Pro Finishing Services

Member since 12 Jan 2010

your best best would be to batten the wall out to make it plumb then fix the units to the batten, if they are modern units you have some play in the bracet fixing
hope this helps

Answered 5th Jun 2011


Member since 18 Feb 2009

Hello there. You need to use the adjustment screws on the hanging brackets on the inside left & right of the wall units these move the carcass up & down & into the wall or away from the wall. It depends how bad the walls are out of plumb if you can get the units bang on level. Also it depends on your end panels because you can end up with gaps from the unit to the wall if it's to big you won't have enough width on your end panels to scribe to the wall.
Hope this helps
Chris Harrington

Answered 5th Jun 2011

Ch kitchens bedrooms bathroom

Member since 4 Jun 2011

you can use timber battens,if you are tilng up to the units no problem, if top of units need bringing out fix small architrave round gaps.

Answered 5th Jun 2011

Ultimate Building Services

Member since 6 Mar 2010


You can either scrice and plane the back of the units to fit the wall or mount them onto a timber batton.

Answered 5th Jun 2011

STR Property Services

Member since 1 Feb 2010

Hi Woody,

I find thac packing out behind the units is the only way if the customer doesn't want the kitchen re plastered. if this isnt done correctly you will have problems with the doors and this can make the whole kitchen look shabby.

Kind regrds and I hope this has been of use.


Answered 5th Jun 2011

Spectrum uk

Member since 13 Nov 2010

Use a good spirit level. Find desired height off worktop and level across. Then mark a plumb line up next to wall then you will have no problem marking wall brackets and hanging units level and upright.
Hope this helps.


Answered 5th Jun 2011

WoodenItBeGood Carpentry

Member since 23 Nov 2009

Use the hanging bracket included and plumb with the adjusters. Depending on the severity of the wall you may have to plaster them to correct this problem

Answered 5th Jun 2011

Elite Building & Plumbing Services Ltd

Member since 8 Jun 2011

You could use packers to try and level the units out but if the walls are that bad have them bond and set by a plasterer hope this helps

Answered 5th Jun 2011

Ups home improvements

Member since 26 Feb 2009

Try opening the wall brackets to the max then bolt the wall units together place your level on top and adjust the heights to the level. Then try adjusting the units back to the wall but sometimes you may haveto scribe the side to follow the contour of the plaster.

Answered 5th Jun 2011

Yew Tree joinery

Member since 8 Mar 2010

If you screw a baton to the wall first and then drop the units down onto the baton, then fix to the wall and together, they should stay level. best of luck.

Answered 5th Jun 2011

P.J.P. Building Services

Member since 13 Mar 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Kitchen Fitters who can help you with your project.

Search all questions