Electrical Question

An electrian has installed a new fusebox and has not given me any certificates from building control as promised. what should i do and if i need to then who should i report them to?

7 Answers

Best Answer

have you asked the electrician why he has not given a certificate?, notification under part P has to be done within 30 days from the date of the job, has this passed?, I do not know how other schemes work but under NAPIT they generate the certificates and send them direct unless the contractor specifies differently. you could then speak to your localbuilding control.regards Terry.l

Answered 4th Jun 2011

tm property services

Member since 9 Mar 2011

The best thing you can do if you haven’t already is to contact the electrician who did the work and give him a chance to get it sorted. (If its been longer than 30 days then building control would more than likely ask for a Periodic inspection).

You should receive a full Electrical certificate for this type of installation. Both the Gas and Water safety bonding should be installed if not already in place too, along with an upgrade to the main tails and main earth to the consumer unit if required.

If you have no joy with the electrician who did the work, then I would post a quote request on here asking for an electrician to come and take a look and check that it all looks ok. (The consumer unit itself, Gas and Water safety bonding, Main tails and Main Earth supply) They could provide you with a quotation for anything that’s not correct or simply a Periodic Inspection report. Use a Part P registered electrician.

This is beauty about My Builder , if someone’s going to mess you around, it becomes public knowledge.


Answered 5th Jun 2011

Secelec UK

Member since 2 Feb 2009

The electrician should issue you directly with an Electrical Installation certificate, and whatever body he is registered with, NAPIT, NICEIC, CORGI or whatever, would send you a Building Regulations Compliance Notice within the 30 days mentioned by Terry. The NICEIC seem to send out certificates at the end of each month, but they notify building control within the required time. When did he install the fusebox? Did he say he was registered with a professional body? If so, speak to them. If not then Trading Standards or Building Control. But you do need to have the certificate from HIm and the one from his registration bosy to make sure all is compliant. Sadly, there are still many unregistered electriciaqns carrying out work that should be notifiable under Part P. Generaly they are cheaper than a qualified, registered, insured tradesman. Caveat emptor.

Answered 5th Jun 2011

Plan It Electrical

Member since 19 May 2010

Hi, I am registered with ELECSA and I am required to notify them within 20 days, the customer would recive a certificate within about two weeks as well as the local authority being notified. You should however have receivied a installation and testing schedual from the electrian with all of his testing results. If you know which governing body he is registered to try contacting them to see if they have been notifyed, if he is not part P registered then building control should have been notifyed before the work was carried out and they should be contacted.
Part P registered electrians should be used as they carry all the responsablity for certification/notification and you know the work will be carried out safely and correctly. Hope this is helpful.
Regards Ed Haynes.

Answered 5th Jun 2011

Edward Haynes domestic electrical installer

Member since 3 Nov 2010

If he is genuine then he has to notify building control ( normally via his Part P provider ) within 30 days. Ideally you should a sticker attached to your new consumer unit with the installation date and the next due inspection. Building control don`t give you certification they may only send out an acknowledgement that you have had some notifiable work done, the electrician who installed and tested and then certified the work should give you the completed certification. If 30 days has passed since the work has been carried out and you have not had the certificates and the electrician is still promising you them then the chances are good that they are not Part P registered. You could also search for him by looking for electricians in your area with the various Part P bodies ( Elecsa, Napit, NICEIC ect ).

Answered 5th Jun 2011

NJM Electrical

Member since 7 Mar 2009

What exactly was the extent of work carried out whilst upgrading your consumer unit ? Did he check and if necessary upgrade your tails , main earth and bonding ? Did he carry out full inspection and testing of all circuits which he is obliged to ?
You should always check the formal credentials to ensure you are getting an accredited electrician who can give you a professional service .
Cheaper is not always better , remember that .

Answered 5th Jun 2011


Member since 28 Feb 2011

You should have been given a electrical installation certificate when the unit was installed.
Part P cert from building control can take up to a month to come through,as said the electrician has 30 days in which to notify the job,so depending on how quick he notified it could take 2 months for it to come through.

If in doubt ask him.

Answered 5th Jun 2011


Member since 29 Jul 2008

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions