Electrical Question

Plugging in an electric cooker via an extension cable


We moved into a rental property yesterday and have a question regarding the wiring of the cooker.

The cooker has a gas hob & an electric oven / grill. When I tried to get it working I could hear the gas coming through but the ignition didn't work nor did the oven / grill. I couldn't find a switch for the cooker so followed the power cord to find it was plugged into an extension cable & into a normal socket at skirting board level. Worse still, the point at which the cooker was plugged into the cable was directly underneath the stainless steel kitchen sink.

I'm no expert but this doesn't seem very safe to me! Is this in breach of regulations? If so, how should the cooker be installed safely?

Any advise on how I should how I should go back to the landlord / agent so that I don't get fobbed off will be gratefully received.

4 Answers

Best Answer

I would recommend that a new socket outlet be installed closer to the cooker so that the extension lead can be eliminated as the use of extension leads in a kitchen only invites problems. Normally, a socket outlet is provided where a cooker such as yours is to be installed so that it can be easily plugged in during installation. I wonder why this was not the case in your kitchen?

Answered 30th Jun 2013

Current Standard Electric

Member since 4 Mar 2013

Your Landlord has a duty of care to you under the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 and as such should have had the electrical installation and any electrical appliances including the cooker and the extension lead tested. If the appliances have been tested, there should be green labels on each appliance with the word "Passed" or "Tested" on it and a date. If there are no labels fitted then the appliances may not have been tested?

Best thing you can do is to ask your Landlord or the Agent you're renting through for a copy of the most recent Electrical Installation Condition Report (they are legally obliged to make this freely available to you).

With regard to the socket under the sink. I would agree that this location is not ideal as there is a potential for a leak to occur from the waste pipe or one of the taps etc. BS7671:2008 wiring regulations has a section within in that requires electrical installations and accessories to be protected against "foreseeable detrimental effects" - e.g. a water leak.

Depending on the rating of the cooker it may well be safe enough to be used on a 13amp plug and socket, but it sounds like it needs to be checked and tested if no labels are present.

See links below for some good information (Tenants electrical safety checklist and Landlords guide)



Answered 30th Jun 2013

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

The hard wiring for a cooker should be fitted on a own circuit basis, which is a radial connected at the consumer unit and straight into the oven control box. Extensions are designed for occasional use not to run cookers on, socket outlets should be away from sink where they are safe from effects of water ingress.

Answered 23rd Jul 2013


Member since 22 Jul 2013

Perhaps you should ask the landlord for a copy of the most recent electrical installation condition report. This is a formal periodic inspection report for the electrical installation to ensure that it is safe for continued use. Basically it is the same as a gas safety certificate that a landlord legally has to have but for the electrics and not a statutory requirement. This would give an indication if all the fixed wiring electrics have been checked recently and if it is satisfactory or unsatisfactory for continued use.



Answered 30th Jun 2013

CPJ Electrics Limited

Member since 29 Nov 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions