Plastering Question

Stop beading is 13mm and plasterboard is 12.5mm but the beading wqill not fit over the cut edge. any tips?

4 Answers

Best Answer

I don't actually understand what you mean to be honest? If it's an angle bead it should (should) fit over the corner either 2 adjoining boards butted together at 90 degrees, or over a wooden/bulls nosed angle to give you a metal edge to skim to. however they do sometimes need dabbing on slightly projecting them from the corner to get them on properly straight, it depends on the quality of the plasterboarding or angle you are affixing it to.

A sop bead sits on the actual face of plasterboard giving you a raised edge to skim to. If you are working on an arch you simply add the stop bead to the underside of the arch evenly projecting the edge so the head of the arch has a stop, and the face of the arch/wall has a stop to skim to.

You could send me a picture of your dilemma and i can explain what to do, but there really are that many variables in the application of beading, plastering and dry walling to give you an exact answer with the information provided.

To be honest if your struggling with prep and beading, have a think about what kind of finish you will acheive if you skim the area yourself. Plastering is one of those things that looks dead easy........because plasterers know what they are doing. And if your prepping for a plasterer to save money, it can be a false economy if he or she has to re do your work as it may be sub standard or will compromise their finish and indeed payment when you pull a face at a rubbish job.

Answered 3rd Jun 2011

Holcombe Building and Restoration Ltd

Member since 12 May 2011

Hi trev use a surfoam lightly take back paper edge then bead will be snug fit for skimming regards kevin

Answered 3rd Jun 2011


Member since 13 Apr 2009

Stop bead won't work, you need to purchase a plasterboard edging bead, which is specifically designed for fitting onto the edge of plasterboard.

Answered 3rd Jun 2011

Absolutely Plastered

Member since 9 May 2008

This definately the wrong sort of beading . You should be using either a plasterboard thin coat stop bead , or thin coat angle bead.
Hope this Helps
R . Carrigan

Answered 4th Jun 2011

Carrigan Plastering

Member since 26 May 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Plasterers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions