Bricklaying Question

We recently had a re-wiring of our house done. however, on one of the walls the brick work has crumbled so much that the plasterer could not fill the gaps in. what type of work do we need done?

5 Answers

dont see why ,could normally fill it out in 3 or 4 fills if its deep but without seeing it could mean crack goes right through ,this means knock out and restitch brickwork

Answered 2nd Jun 2011


Member since 7 Jun 2008

You need a brickie in to replace the damaged bricks first.
Your electrician must have done a lot of damage, if the plasterer cant patch it.
What was he using, a kango.

Answered 2nd Jun 2011


Member since 29 Oct 2008

Without seeing the wall it's hard to say however if your plasterer could not fill in the cracks it sounds in pretty bad condition, if this is the case then drylining the wall with plasterboard and plastering it would be the quickest and cheapest option.

Answered 2nd Jun 2011

Doherty Builders (TEDD) LTD

Member since 13 May 2011

Impossible to say without seeing,sorry

Answered 2nd Jun 2011

m w building construction and property maintenance

Member since 28 Sep 2008

If brickwork is poor and crumbly you may want to replace the affected area,hoping its only a few damaged ones.If you have a crack running through the brickwork but walls are stable and its not cracked/moved/bulging or leaning then a crack stitch repair may be needed.
Its a tricky one without see`ing as by words are limited and does`nt always paint the same picture.
Or if the bricks are solid but need lots of dubbing out and this was a issue,you could use EML sheeting that is expanded metal to cover the area to obtain a key for render/plaster.

Best advice anyone can give is have someone look at it offering a free Survey/Estimate and maybe look at two or three Quotes.

Good luck.

Scott Cannon.

Answered 3rd Jun 2011

Cannon Preservation Ltd

Member since 21 May 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Bricklayers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions