Ask a tradesman

Restoration & Refurbishment

What's involved in a 'structural engineers report'.

I need a dividing wall between kitchen and dining room removed and an RSJ installed as I think the wall is load bearing. I also need a wall knocked through from living room to dining room to form a recess for internal glazed double doors. I need to know the process for planning permission approval. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I understand I need to get a structural engineers report to be submitted to planning dept. of local councl for approval. Once approved, the contracted builder then follows this report while doing the structural work. Is that about right? Also, what should I look for when contracting a suitably qualified/experienced builder? I'll take up a number of previous job references, but is there a governing body which builders should be registered with?Any guidance would be really appreciated.

Kid regards


5 Answers from MyBuilder Restoration & Refurb Specialists

Best Answer

Here's how it works:
You don't need planning permission, but the beam that you use will need to comply with the Building Regulations and must be inspected. You can submit plans if you like, but it more usual to fill out a Building Notice and then get it inspected from that. The point is this, that if you submit plans and details, and then do it as stated, then you won't have any problems with the installation, whereas with a notice you'll get it inspected AFTER you've put the beam up. So you'd better be sure you've done it right!
Depending on what type of beam you use, you may be asked for calcs, to prove that it's up to the job. However with a catnic you can get the calcs from the manufacturer, because they are deemed to satisfy. Otherwise you'll need someone to do the calcs for you.
A quick rule of thumb: opening width/18 = beam height.
You should also set the beam(s) on concrete padstones if you're using RSJs


Answered 2nd Jun 2011

I agree with the others on this,only building regs needed, good advice given.
Building control will need to see the steels etc in place and on pad stones before covering up.
Regarding belonging to some building organisation, the Goverment were going to make this compulsory about 7 years ago, to stamp out rogue traders, unfortunately this never happened.
I imagine most trades belong to some form of building organisation, just check with who ever you use, plus full insurance.


Answered 2nd Jun 2011

the process is correct ,make sure all builders have previous experience of structural works and get a copy of their liability insurance and call insurers to make sure policy is active ,


Answered 2nd Jun 2011

Hi Wayne,

If the wall is load bearing you will need a steel beam installed. I don't think you will need planning permision but you will need building regs. This is to clarify that the beam is adequate to take the load being imposed on it. The opening for the internal glazed unit should only require a lintol over. A structural engineer could prepare the building regs for you. Both jobs require an experienced builder and you can find one in your area by contacting This is the Federation of Master Builders and all members have been checked and verified.

Hope this helps


Steve & Tony

Abvale Builders Aylesbury.


Answered 2nd Jun 2011

To remove any load bearing wall you will need a structural engineers report.Then you need to contact your local planning department and fill out a building notice.The suits at building control will need to see your s/e report and do periodic inspections to make sure all work is done to correct spec so they can issue you with a completion certificate.The most important factor is to find a reputable builder with references that can be checked and with ample insurance should the unlikely happen.


Answered 3rd Jun 2011

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories