Electrical Question

Circuit breaker.

Do I need to use a plug-in circuit breaker as I have a modern consumer unit fitted.

3 Answers

Best Answer

Hi, if you have a 30mA RCD in your fuse board and providing the circuit protecting your sockets/ringmain that you are powering from is covered by it then no additional RCD protection is required.

Answered 28th May 2013

JEM Electrical

Member since 10 Apr 2013

To be able to answer this question properly more information is needed! If your consumer unit has an RCD (Residual Current Device) that protects the sockets then a plug in RCD is not required. If the consumer unit just has circuit breakers and no RCD then yes a plug in RCD adaptor would increase safety.

Answered 28th May 2013

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

Hi , if you mean 17th edition consumer units, then you need to use BSEN 60898 circuit breakers (they're not plug in).

Answered 28th May 2013

Edris Building & Electrical Contractor

Member since 11 Mar 2013

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions