Gas Work Question

Do you need a gas safe egineer to disconnect non mains gas supply?

Hi, my brother owns a caravan, but needs the floor boards replacing so needs to take the kitchen out in order to do so and as a result needs to disconect the cooker also. The caravan is run on propane cylinder gas bottles and he has been told by a guy at the calor gas place that because it is not mains gas, then he can do this himself. However, he has also been told by a gas safe engineer, that it can only be done by a gas safe engineer, So he's confused to what the correct answer is and if he can do it himself then he would obviously prefer too.
what is the right answer???
any help would be appreciated.

6 Answers

Best Answer

Substructure not only is your answer completely wrong you are giving dangerious advice, so may I suggest you stick to building walls & leave gas matters to people who know what they are talking about.
Yes you do need a gas safe reg engineer who has LPG on their card as it is completely different to normal mains gas, if you check on the gas safe website with your post code & the fact you require a LPG engineer you will get a list of engineers in your area.

Answered 13th Jun 2011

Keith Gillyon Plumbing, Heating & Building Services.

Member since 6 Jul 2008

Yes you do need someone that is gas safe registered and also assessed for LPG in caravans.
Please ignore the answer below as your friend would be breaking the law if he attempts to alter gas pipework. I would only take notice of answers from gas safe registered engineers.

Answered 30th May 2011

David Winn

Member since 17 Feb 2009

Does that mean I'm breaking the law when I change the gas on my BBQ.:-)

Answered 10th Jun 2011

Ch kitchens bedrooms bathroom

Member since 4 Jun 2011

You do not have to be a gas safe registered engineer to change gas bottles.
If any work on the gas pipes or appliances is to be done, this must be carried out by a gas safe registered engineer.
The engineer will not only have to an LPG ticket but also Caravans as I have.

Answered 17th Jun 2011

Quality Heating Services

Member since 10 Apr 2009

yes he can do it ,turn off the valve and disconnect hose ,no need for gas safe engineer for butane or propane bottles

Answered 30th May 2011


Member since 7 Jun 2008

hi dannyboy not only do you need a gas safe engineer the engineer needs to have done l.p.g gas on his axe ,rule of thumb any work on gas needs to be done by a gas safe reg engineer

Answered 30th May 2011

JWC Property Services

Member since 25 May 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Gas Engineers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions