Damp Proofing Question

Waterproof membrane

We suffer recurring problems with damp on our north facing dining room wall of our period house. Constantly re-patching plaster and applying damp-proof paint to about 2 feet above skirting board level. Someone recommended having the plaster removed and a membrane fitted. Would this add considerably to the wall thickness and would the whole wall need re-plastering or is it thin enough to just plaster over/use plasterboard to match the rest of the wall.

2 Answers

Hi there
If this is a rising damp problem then you need to have an injection course to stop the rising damp then a water proof sand and cement best to have a damp proofing company sort it out will be more expensive but the problem will be solved,whether its rising or penetrating damp or even condensation.

Answered 10th May 2013

Trident Damp

Member since 26 May 2011

Period property? I am assuming pre 1875. I also assume its a lime based plaster. A damp proof injection and sand cement render is not always the answer with period properties. In fact they can cause more problems than cure.

It would be idel to find out
A) what's causing the damp problem. Is it high ground, salt contamination, poor pointing, porous brickwork, poor external rendering, etc etc.
B) what is most cost effective and sympathetic remedial solution to the problem.

I suggest you employ the services of an independent surveyor. These can be found on the proprerty care association website.

Answered 11th May 2013

JW Surveys

Member since 11 Jan 2013

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Damp Proofing Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions