Electrical Question

Consumer unit fiting

Can you fit a Consumer Unit to the main consumer unit?

2 Answers

Best Answer

Yes its possible to add a second consumer unit and take the feed for it from an original consumer unit. The best way however is to fit 60/80amp meter blocks on the load side meter tails and then take an new set of double insulated tails from there to the new consumer unit.

If your doing the work as DIY, you will need to register your intent to carry out the work with your local authority building control first and pay their part P building regulation consent fee. (Normally around £200). Once you have consent you can carry out the works. On completion the local authority Part P inspector will come and inspect and test the work and provided it meets all the requirements of BS7671:2008, they will issue a part P compliance certificate.

see link below for more information;


Answered 4th May 2013

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

Yes as long as load have been calculated. Also this needs to be done by qualified electrician.
MK of Fulham Electrical Services

Answered 4th May 2013

MK of Fulham Electrical

Member since 19 Feb 2009

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions