Gas Work Question

Legislation for ventilation of basket style gas fire

We have a basket style decorative gas fire which is at least 15 years old. The flue is the chimney - the house is about 130 years old. We were recently advised that the regulations state that additional ventilation in the form of a permanent vent through the wall is required for this type of fire. No one has ever mentioned this before and I cannot find the specific legislation which states this requirement, just references to it and comments on various forums stating the additional ventilation is required for this type of fire irrespective of the input/output and the fact that there is a flue. Can someone give me a link to actual the regulations which state this please? Also, are there any regulations governing where the vent should be sited? We've had a quote from the firm who said it was required and they want to put the vent under the window which would be very visible, and ugly, given the layout of the room. I'd prefer to put the vent higher up in the corner of the room, which would probably make the installation trickier, but I'd like some advice on this too please.

Hi - I can't work out how to ask a follow up questions given the two responses received; thank you both, by the way, so I'm hoping you will see this. What I am struggling to understand now if whether the type of fire dictates the extra vent is required or if it is only if the fire has a certain input.

Three different engineers have checked the appliance over the past three years, but only the latest one has said there is a ventilation issue. Have the regulations changed recently? I have asked the company whose engineers carried out the checks to clarify why this issue has only now be raised, but they have not responded adequately.

4 Answers

Best Answer

This type of fire would fall under the DFE fires (decorative fuel effect), other fires like the insert fires have letter box size opening that restricts the air/ fumes that exit via the chimney. With the DFE type fires the open chimney allows much more air to exit the room as heated air rises. Normally the vent size would need to be a standard 100cm2 vent. Vents can be placed either high or low if they are direct to the outside. Most of this relates back to experience but it is based upon the gas safe un-safe situations section 6.1 and is backed by Regulation GUISR. In section 6.1 of the unsafe situation it states; ''Opened flue and flueless appliances requiring a purpose provided permanent combustion air supply where none is provided'' This is classified as ''AT RISK''. With the actual wording relating to DFE or basket type fires, you will only find this in an ACS gas training book.

No matter if a DFE fire is under 7KW, the DFE fire will still require a minimal vent size of 100cm2

Answered 26th Apr 2013

Reliable Heating Services Ltd

Member since 16 Apr 2013

A gas fire that exceeds 7KW input must have its own dedicated air vent. The air vent should be ideally located in the same room as the gas appliance and suitably sized, if this is not achievable then communicating ventilation will be required from adjacent rooms to an external wall, under no circumstances must the communicating ventilation pass through a bathroom.

I would suggest you contact a local Gas Safe engineer to advise you on the exact safety aspects of your gas appliance

Answered 27th Apr 2013

Boiler Homecare

Member since 6 Jan 2010

Because houses have double glazing and the cavities filled etc there is less adventitious air, which equates to 7kw. That’s why it is stated that a DFE above 7kw will require a minimum of 100cm2. There are some manufactures who might state in the Manufactures instructions that their appliance which is <7kw input doesn’t require any additional ventilation because the -7kw for adventitious air is still used. But err on the side of caution an add the ventilation.

Answered 22nd Nov 2017

E.L. Plumbing

Member since 6 Oct 2017

Also to add to that. Being above 6.9kw a minimum of 175mm cross sectional Chimney is required. All DFE Fires require 100cm SQ Ventilation. A DFE has the flame open to the atmosphere, good installation practice is all the above.

Answered 28th Jan 2018

A. White Plumbing Service Ltd

Member since 17 Oct 2017

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Gas Engineers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions