Electrical Question

Wiring a converted garage

I have a 1950 built garage with my house. I plan to insulate it internally and turn it into a workshop. The garage has it's own ring main fed from a new consumer box with RCD.
Am I allowed to wire the garage/workshop as I want it. Using the ring main for power, taking a fused feed for lights, another to feed a water heater for the whb , another for the pond filter pump and another for an extension to a garden shed.
I have done a similar thing in my last house by turning an old prefab garage into a workshop.
I can do this safely, but am I allowed to?
Thank you.

4 Answers

Best Answer

It is possible to carry out DIY electrical work in the home, but since the introduction of part P of the building regulations in 2005, you must make an application to your local authority to get Part P consent first.

Most local authorities charge around £300 for part P consent, and once its in place you can then carry out the electrical works. Please bear in mind that what you install will need to comply with BS7671:2008 as amended to January 2011 so if your not up to speed on the regulations there is a risk that when the local authority inspector comes to check and test the work at the end of the job, he/she may still not pass the work?

Therefore its probably easier and cheaper to hire a Part P registered electrician (NICEIC or similar), and you could always post a job here on mybuilder.

Its also worth pointing out that if you take a risk and just do the work without consent, its possible to be fined up to £5000 for breaking the law. see links below for more information.


Answered 19th Apr 2013

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

You already know the answer... Do you even own calibrated test equipment or even know how to carry out safe isolation??
If your house burns down due to faulty electrics in your garage/workshop do you think your home insurance would cover it?

Have a good day!!

Answered 19th Apr 2013

A Jeavons Electrical

Member since 7 Dec 2011

yes you can but bear in mind that you can only take 1 spur for lighting or pond etc from each socket on the ring main and you also must remember to fuse down the spur when spurring off for lights.Also you must be carefull not to overload the circuit breaker controlling the ring main in your garage and you must verify this is a ring main and not a radial circuit.There is alot to take in but with a bit of knowledge you could do it right using plastic conduit or trunking for the switch and socket drops for the protection of the cable as its going to be a workshop. Good luck

Answered 19th Apr 2013


Member since 24 Jan 2013

Unfortunately you may think you are capable of carrying out such works but it is a legal requirement that unless you are a fully qualified electrician,who has been assessed by a governing body i.e NICEIC,Elecsa,Napit etc who can self certify under the Part P legislation and can notify your work to building control then no, i never recommend DIY.
Look at it this way.....would you do your own gas work? im presuming no and therefore this is the same concept.For your own safety please employ an electrician to complete the work for you.

Central Contractors Midlands Ltd

Answered 20th Apr 2013

Central Contractors Midlands Ltd

Member since 29 Nov 2010

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions