Carpentry & Joinery Question

How much to knock wall down by staircase

Hi there,
We have just brought a new place. it is a end of terrace turn of the century house and the stairs run sideways down the middle seperating the lounge and dining room. I am trying to get a vague idea as to the cost to knock out one of the walls, put in a banister etc and create a useable understairs space. Here are a few pics of what we have and what we want; The heating thermostat will need moving as will a double plug socket and light switch. Can anyone help at all? Any advise welcomed.

1 Answer

Best Answer

Hi Amy,
We would definetly need to inspect the job on site. The brick walls may carry on up and form the upstairs rooms, in which case they are load bearing and will require an RSJ to be fitted. You may also need the services of a strutural engineer to specify the correct beam size and provide relevant drawings. Building control may also need to be contacted as you may be carrying out structural works and are slightly changing the existing floor layout. A site visit is a must I'm afraid.

Regards Scott

Answered 10th Apr 2013

Russell Preservation

Member since 10 Apr 2013

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Carpenters & Joiners who can help you with your project.

Search all questions