Restoration & Refurbishment Question

Suspended floor maintenance/replacement

We suspect that the suspended floors in our 21-year-old detached house need replacing. They are sagging,draughty and bounce when you walk on them. The foundations of the walls have been investigated and found to be sound. This problem is not covered by insurance. We have very little knowledge about building.

How would you advise us to go about this? Appoint an architect to specify and manage the work? Or should we approach suitable building firms directly?

2 Answers

I don't think you will need an architect for this sort of thing, a good builder would be able to help you solve this, you need to find out what has caused the damage first because 20years it really not a long time when it comes to buildings life span , you may have a leak or condensation problem somewhere.

Hope this helps

Jason Marsh

Answered 6th Apr 2013

London Refurbishment Company

Member since 5 Apr 2013

Hi there,

Yeah,I agree, on a 20 year old house it seems that you have had a leak within the sub floor area. For a floor to 'bounce' it is generally given the the joist bearing ends or wall plate will have been affected by either dry or wet rot. A sub floor plumbing leak is the main culprit in modern buildings. You should really contact a timber preservation specialist in your area. If its a dry rot issue then could have a major issue if its been left unattended for a number of years. Hopefully it will be wet rot, but believe it on not, replacing the floor is not that big a job, probably 2 days should see it ripped up and a new floor replaced.

Hope you get to the bottom of your problem.

Answered 21st May 2013

Russell Preservation

Member since 10 Apr 2013

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Restoration & Refurb Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions